DISTRICT LEGAL EMPOWERMENT COMMITTEES (CONSTITUTION & FUNCTIONS) RULES, 2011
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-II, 9th July, 2011]
S.R.O. 684(I)/2011, dated 2.7.2011.—In exercise of powers conferred by sub-section (1) of Section 9 of the Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan Ordinance (XIV of 1979), the Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan is pleased to make the following rules for Constitution and regulating the functions of the District Legal Empowerment Committees.
1. Short title and commencement.—(i) These Rules may be called the District Legal Empowerment Committees (Constitution & Functions) Rules, 2011.
(ii) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.—In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(a) "Chairperson" means Chairperson of the District Legal Empowerment Committee;
(b) "Committee" means the District Legal Empowerment Committee constituted to administer and manage funds for the purpose of provision of legal aid to the deserving litigants;
(c) "Deserving litigant" means a litigant who might otherwise be unable to obtain legal aid or assistance for protecting his genuine legal rights or interests, involved in litigation, on account of his limited financial resources.
(d) "District Legal Empowerment Fund" means an amount allocated for District Legal Empowerment Committee from the Legal Empowerment Fund Window of Access to Justice Development Fund or other grants or donations made by the Federal Government, Provincial Government or a Local Government.
(e) "Legal aid" means free legal aid or assistance extended to a deserving litigant by the Committee in areas hereinafter prescribed.
(f) "Member" means member of the District Legal Empowerment Committee.
3. Establishment of the Committee.—The Committee shall be constituted by the Law and Justice Commission of Pakistan with the concurrence of the concerned High Court and the Provincial Government.
4. Composition of Committee.—(i) The composition of the Committee shall be as under:—
(a) District & Sessions Judge/Zilla Qazi as ex-Officio chairperson;
(b) District Co-ordination Office/Deputy Commissioner/ Political Agent, member ex-officio.
(c) Superintendent, District/Central Jail, member ex-officio;
(d) President, District Bar Association, member ex-officio; and
(e) A Representative of the Civil Society as co-opted member of the Committee.
(ii) The co-opted member shall be selected by the Committee, for a period of three years but shall be eligible for re-appointment for another term.
(iii) The co-opted member shall hold the office during the pleasure of the Committee and can be removed earlier by majority of its members.
(iv) The co-opted member may resign from his office by writing under his hand addressed to the Chairperson.
(v) The Committee may designate any of its members as Secretary to the Committee who shall act and perform such functions as may be assigned to him by the Committee.
5. Functions of the Committee.—(i) Subject to the provisions of any other law for the time being in force, the Committee shall extend funds for provision of legal aid to the deserving litigants.
(ii) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of sub-rule (i) of the Rule 4, the legal aid may be extended in following areas:-
(a) Professional fee/honorarium payable to lawyer;
(b) Court fee;
(c) Copying charges;