TELECOMMUNICATION AND TERMINAL EQUIPMENT INSTALLER REGULATIONS, 2012
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-II, 13th June, 2012]
S.R.O. 738 (I)/2012.—In exercise of powers conferred under clause (o) of sub-section (2) of Section 5 read with sub-section (3) of Section 29 of the Pakistan Telecommunication (Re-organization) Act, 1996, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority is hereby makes the following regulations, namely:
PART – I
1. Short title and commencement.—(1) These Regulations shall be called "Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer Regulations, 2012".
(2) These Regulations shall come into force from the date of gazette notification.
2. Definitions.—(1) In these Regulations, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context:-
(a) "Act" means the Pakistan Telecommunication (Re-organization) Act, 1996;
(b) "Authority" means the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority established under Section 3 of the Act;
(c) "Certified Minimum Qualification" means basic diploma/3-year diploma (electrical/electronic/telecom) from recognized Government of Pakistan (federal/ provincial) institutes and all such other certifications approved by the Authority from time to time;
(d) "Certified Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer (Certificate)" means a person who has been issued a certificate for installation of telecommunication and terminal equipment by the Authority under these regulations;
(e) "License" means an authorization granted by the Authority for the establishment, operation and maintenance of a telecommunication system or provision of any telecommunications service;
(f) "Person" shall include a natural person, class of persons, company or co-operation etc;
(g) "Premises" means a class 5 central office (Local Access Exchange) or equivalent, commercial building(s) with more than three storey's above ground alongwith terminating access network;
(h) "TMA" means Town Municipal Authorities; and
(i) "Network Termination Point (NTP)" means the point of termination on a telecommunication system at which the terminal equipment may be connected.
(2) Words and expressions used herein but not defined shall have the same meaning assigned to them in the Act, Rules and Regulations.
3. Scope and Applicability—(1) The objective of these regulations is to register and ensure a minimum standard of qualification is possessed by the Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer to install quality telecom equipment and Premises telecommunication wiring which enables the occupiers with uninterrupted access to multi-play telecom services or broadband using latest technologies. All installations (both wired and wireless) has to be laid through a Certified Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer.
(2) These Regulations shall apply to access networks consisting of wireless, wire/cable (coax, copper, fiber) and telecommunication equipment connecting essentials laying within the Premises, other than plug into socket, including but not limited to NTP at a Premises. PTA "Guidelines on In-house Telecom Wiring" may be referred, where applicable.
PART – II
Telecom Operator & Premises Owner Obligations
4. Telecom Operator Obligations.—(1) A Licensee shall not provide any telecommunications service at a Premises where the telecommunication equipment is not installed by a Certified Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer in accordance with the standards prescribed in these regulations.
(2) All Local Loop (Fixed Local Loop & Wireless Local Loop) licensed telecom operators shall be required to obtain a Certificate from the Authority if any equipment is required to be installed at the customer Premises.
(3) The Network Termination Point shall be securely fixed at the closest customer Premises from the outside plant. If the terminal equipment is provided by the Licensee the NTP shall be extended upto the terminal box. The licensed operators shall maintain all NTP termination and installation records for the duration of the service.
5. Premises Owner Obligation. Premises telecommun-icationn installations shall be the responsibility of the Premises owner.
PART – III
Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer Obligations
6. Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installer Obligations.—(1) The Certified Telecommunication & Terminal Equipment Installer shall be responsible for following, as and where applicable:-
a. Wiring should be as per international standards specified at Annex-B.
b. Wiring should be properly terminated at Network Termination Point.
c. When a telecom cabling is placed alongside an AC electrical power cable inside a wall space or in the ceiling space, it may have a minimum separation of 50.4mm (2in), or shall be passed through a separate PVC pipe.
d. When there is a requirement for the telecom cable for voice, data and video to cross the power cable it shall always cross al right angle.
e. There should be a clear separation of 2 inches between:
i. Separation from power conduits.
ii. Separation and barriers within raceways; and
iii. Separation within outlet boxes or compartments.
f. The voltage should not be injurious to occupants, it should be safe and secure from normal electrical power.
g. Should verify that the attenuation and signal losses are minimum.
h. That the Telecom room (TR) and building entrance facility (BEF) has enough accommodation for cabling and equipment and additional space is available for growth. Passive equipments like patch panels should have 50 per cent free ports.
i. General environment requirements should be adhered which includes sufficient power requirements, power backup, humidity, ventilation and HVAC etc.
j. Conformity with the provisions of the Act, Rules, these Regulations and any instructions issued by the Authority.
(2) The Certified Telecommunication & Terminal Equipment Installer shall execute a written an agreement with the Premises owner after completion of the installation work to verify satisfactory completion of the installation work in accordance with these Regulations. A copy of the agreement shall be retained by the Certificate holder and the Premises owner.
(3) No Person, other than the holder of a Certificate shall advertise or otherwise claim to be an authorized Certificate holder or qualified to perform or carry out such Installation work.
PART – IV
Application Procedure for grant of Certificate of Telecommunication and Terminal Equipment Installation
7. Application for grant of Certificate.—(1) An application for the grant of a Certificate to install telecommunication and terminal equipment at the designated Premises shall be to the Authority in the form and modes prescribed at Annex-A.
(2) An application under sub-regulation (1) shall be accompanied by the information specified in Regulation 9.
(3) Application fee shall be Rs.1000/- for 5 years to paid at the time of processing.
8. Procedure for grant of Certificate.—(1) On receipt of an application for the grant of a Certificate, the Authority shall examine the application.
(2) The Authority shall consider the application to determine whether or not to grant a Certificate. The Authority shall take into account the following factors:-
(a) Technical knowledge of applicant, design, laying, maintenance/installations, operation and testing of all relevant telecommunication and terminal equipment systems;