GILGIT ACT NO. V OF 2012
GILGIT-BALTISTAN POWER DEVELOPMENT BOARD ACT, 2012
An Act to provide for the development of power resources of the Gilgit-Baltistan.
[The Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 6th June, 2012]
No. C-1 (2)/2012 GBC—The following Act, passed by the Gilgit-Baltistan Council on 21st March, 2012 and authenticated by the Chairman, Giigit-Baltistan Council/Prime Minister of Pakistan, is hereby published for general information.
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the development of power resources of the Gilgit-Baltistan for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:—
CHAPTER – I
1. Short title, extent and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the Gilgit-Baltistan Power Development Board Act, 2012.
(2) It extends to the whole of Gilgit-Baltistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.—In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(i) "Board" means the Board of Directors of the Gilgit-Baltistan Power Development Board;
(ii) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Board;
(iii) "Vice Chairman" means the Vice Chairman of the Board;
(iv) "Council" means the Gilgit-Baltistan Council;
(v) "Federal Government" means the Government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan;
(vi) "Government" means the Government of Gilgit-Baltistan;
(vii) "land" includes benefits to arise out of land, and things attached to the earth or permanently fastened to anything attached to the earth;
(viii) "Managing Director" means the Managing Director of the Gilgit Baltistan Power Development Board;
(ix) "member" means a member of the Board;
(x) "officer" means an officer of the Board;
(xi) "power" includes hydro power, electrical energy, steam, gas, solar, geo thermal, wind or any other power notified as such by the Gilgit-Baltistan Council in the official Gazette;
(xii) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules;
(xiii) "rules" means rules made under this Act; and
(xiv) "Scheduled Bank" means a Bank for the time being included in the list of Scheduled Banks maintained under sub-section (1) of Section 37 of the State Bank of Pakistan Act, 1956 (XXXIII of 1956).
CHAPTER – II
Constitution of Board
3. Board.—(1) There shall be established a Board known as the Gilgit-Baltistan Power Development Board.
(2) The Board shall be a body corporate having power to acquire and hold property, both movable and immovable, having perpetual succession and a common seal and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
(3) The head office of the Board shall be at Islamabad with regional office at Gilgit.
(4) The Board shall consist of the following; namely:—
(i) Minister-in-Charge, Gilgit-Baltistan
Council Secretariat. Chairman
(ii) Chief Minister, Gilgit-Baltistan
(iii) Minister for Water and Power,
GB Government. Member
(iv-v) Two (02) Members of Gilgit-Baltistan
Council to be nominated by the
(vi) Secretary-in-Charge, Gilgit-Baltistan
Council Secretariat Member
(vii) Member (Energy) Planning
Commission, P & D Division. Member
(viii) Chief Secretary, Gilgit-Baltistan
(ix) Member Power, WAPDA Member
(x) Chief Engineer, Water & power
Deptt, GB Member
(xi) A Representative of Private Power
Infrastructure Board Member
(xii) Managing Director of the Board
appointed under Section 4 Member
4. Managing Director.—(1) The Council shall appoint a Managing Director of the Board, in consultation with the Board, on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed.
(2) The Managing Director shall be responsible for overall administration and management of the Board. He shall also be responsible to carry out and implement the orders and decisions of the Board.