ACT NO. XVII OF 2013
GLOBAL CHANGE IMPACT STUDIES CENTRE
An Act to provide for establishment of Global Change Impact Studies Centre
[The Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 26th March, 2013]
No. F. 9(8)/2013-Legis.—The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on 22nd March, 2013, is hereby published for general information:—
WHEREAS significant climate change is taking place due to human interference with nature which is resulting in global warming and occurrence of extreme events such as floods, droughts, tornadoes, etc. with far-reaching consequences for human life;
AND WHEREAS, it is expedient to provide for the establishment of Global Change Impact Studies Centre (GCISC) to undertake scientific investigations of the phenomenon of climate change at regional and sub-regional levels and study its impact on various sectors of socio-economic development in order to prepare the country to meet threats to its water resources, agriculture, ecology, energy, health, bio-diversity etc, and for matters connected therewith or ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as under:—
1. Short title, extent and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the Global Change Impact Studies Centre Act, 2013.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan,
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.—In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(a) "Board" means the Board of Governors established under Section 5;
(b) "Centre" means the Global Change Impact Studies Centre (GCISC) established under section 3;
(c) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Board;
(d) "employees" means persons employed by the Centre;
(e) "Executive Director" means the Executive Director of the Centre appointed under Section 9;
(f) "Fund" means the Global Change Impact Studies Centre Fund established under Section 10;
(g) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules; and
(h) "research studies" means theoretical or experimental research work, including modeling and simulation techniques undertaken to acquire knowledge of fundamental principles of the climate change phenomenon and its impacts.
GLOBAL CHANGE IMPACT STUDIES CENTRE
3. Establishment of the Global Change Impact Studies Centre.—(1) There shall be established a Global Change Impact Studies Centre (GCISC), to carry out the purposes and objectives of this Act.
(2) The Centre shall be a body corporate, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to acquire and hold property, both moveable and immoveable, and sue and be sued in its own name.
(3) The headquarters of the Centre shall be at Islamabad and it may establish its regional offices at such places as it may consider appropriate.
(4) The Centre shall keep close liaison with the corresponding Province level Centres as and when they are established. The Centre shall also help in the capacity building of such Provincial institutions.
4. Functions of the Centre.—(1) The Centre shall take all measures to accelerate research work necessary for the study of climate change and its impacts on various sectors of socio-economic development such as water resources, agriculture, ecology, energy, health, bio-diversity, etc.
(2) The Centre shall, in order to carry out its functions,—
(a) prepare and submit for approval of the Board schemes or projects, including joint projects with national, foreign or international entities;
(b) proceed to give effect to proposals, schemes or projects as approved by the Board;
(c) enter into collaboration and joint ventures with domestic and foreign entities for research studies related to the climate change phenomenon;
(d) hold seminars, conferences, workshops, training courses, etc., and publish research papers, etc;
(e) advise and recommend to government agencies sectoral guidelines for adaptation and mitigation efforts in relation to climate change;
(f) generate public awareness of the phenomenon of climate change and its likely impacts; and
(g) perform such other acts as may be necessary for achievement of the purposes of this Act.
MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE CENTRE
5. Board of Governors.—(1) The general direction and administration of the Centre and its affairs shall vest in the Board of Governors which shall determine and execute policies of the Centre and may exercise all powers and do all acts, which may be required to be exercised or done by the Centre, relating to its functions, in accordance with this Act.
(2) For furthering the functions of the Centre, the Federal Government may, as and when it considers necessary, issue directives to the Centre on matters of policy. If a question arises as to whether any matter is a matter of policy or not, the decision of the Federal Government thereon shall be final.
(3) The Board shall consist of the Chairman who shall be the Federal Minister-in-charge of the concerned Ministry dealing with the subject of climate change, ex-officio members and the following members to be appointed by the Federal Government,—
(a) Secretary, Ministry dealing with the
subject of climate change Vice-Chairman
(b) Secretary, Ministry of Finance Member
(c) Secretary, Ministry of Science
and Technology Member
(d) Secretary, Ministry of Water and Power Member
(e) Secretary, Ministry dealing with the
subject of national food security and
(f) Secretary, Ministry of Industries Member
(g) Director General, Pakistan Meteorological
(h) Chairman, Space and Upper Atmosphere
Research Commission. Member
(i) Secretary, Environment or of the relevant
Department and one Technical Expert
nominated by respective Provincial
Governments, Azad Government of the
Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan Member
(j) three eminent scientists Members
(k) two eminent representatives from
private Sector Members