FEDERAL LEVIES FORCE (AMENDED) SERVICE RULES, 2013
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-II, 18th June, 2013]
S.R.O. 580 (I)/2013, dated 8.4.2013.—In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 10 of the Federal Levies Force Regulation, 2012 the Federal Government is pleased to make the following rules, namely;-
1. Short title and commencement.—(1) These rules may be called Federal Levies Force (Amended) Service Rules, 2013.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.—(1) In these Rules, unless the context otherwise require, the following expressions shall have the meanings hereby respectively assigned to them, namely:—
(a) "Appointing Authority" means the appointing authority specified in Rule 4;
(b) "Commandant" means Commandant of the Force, who shall be Political Agent of the Agency or, as the case may be, Deputy Commissioner for FRs in their respective jurisdiction;
(c) "Director-General" means an officer appointed as such by the Federal Government, to exercise such powers and functions as may be prescribed;
(d) "Director" means an officer appointed as such by the FATA Secretariat who shall have practical experience of civil administration in tribal areas and who shall exercise such powers and functions as may be prescribed;
(e) "Deputy Commandant (Operations)" means an Assistant Political Agent of a Sub-Division or an Agency or FR or any officer of the District designated as such officer by the Provincial Government, who shall be Deputy Commandant (Operations) of the Force in their respective jurisdiction to exercise such powers and functions as may be prescribed; and
(f) "Deputy Commandant (Administration)" means an officer of Federal or Provincial civil service or any officer of the District designated as such officer by the Provincial Government in their respective jurisdiction to exercise such powers and functions as may be prescribed and who shall be responsible to the Commandant for administrative and establishment matters of the Force;
(g) "FR" means Frontier Regions;
(h) "Government" means the Federal Government;
(i) "initial recruitment" means appointment made other than by promotion or by transfer from other services;
(j) "Schedule" means the Schedule appended to these rules;
(k) "Selection or Promotion Committee" means a Committee for recruitment or as the case may be, promotion of Force personnel as notified by the Government;
(l) "service" means the Levies Service;
(2) The expression used but not defined herein shall have the same meanings as are assigned to them under the Federal Levies Force Regulation, 2012.
3. Composition and eligibility of the Force.—(1) The Force shall comprise of the posts specified in Schedule-I and such other posts as may be determined by the Government from time to time.
(2) Recruitment to the Force shall be made in accordance with the requirement specified in Schedule-I. The following conditions shall also be fulfilled, namely:—
(a) A candidate for appointment shall be a citizen of Pakistan and bona-fide resident of the respective district, agency or Frontier Region, as the case may be;
(b) The candidate shall be in good mental and bodily health and free from physical defect, which likely to interfere in the efficient discharge of his duties;
(c) Medical Superintendent of the respective District Headquarter Hospital or Agency Headquarters Hospital shall issue a certificate of medical fitness of the candidate;
(d) Recruitment to all ranks of the Force shall be made from amongst those persons having a minimum height 5'-7" and chest measurement of 34"-35 1/2" with an age of not less than eighteen years and not more than twenty-five years on the last date of submission of application;
(e) No person (except those who are already in Government Service) shall be appointed to the Force unless he produces a certificate of character from the Principal or Academic Officer of the academic institution last attended and also a certificate of character from two gazetted officers from respective districts not being his relative and who are well acquainted with his character; and
(f) No person who is married to a foreign national shall be eligible for appointment in the Force, unless allowed by the Government, in writing.
4. Appointing authority.—(1) Commandant shall be the appointing authority for initial recruitment or promotion of the Force personnel.
(2) Appointment to the post shall be made in accordance with the provision contained in Schedule-I read with Rule-3 of these rules.
(3) Appointment either through initial recruitment or by promotion shall be made through duly constituted Selection/Promotion Committees:
Provided that in case of raising of force in a new District, the Commandant shall have the authority to recruit ex-servicemen above the rank, of Sepoy on contract basis for a period of one year extendable for a further period of one year but not exceeding three years in total, with prior approval of the Federal Government;
It is further provided that the ex-servicemen so appointed on contract shall not be more than forty five years of age.
5. Probation.—(1) Persons appointed to posts by initial recruitment, promotion or transfer shall remain on probation for a period of one year extendable by a further period of one year. If no order is issued on the expiry of the first year of probation period, the period of probation shall be deemed to have been extended for further one year. If no order is issued on the completion of extended period, the probation shall be deemed to have been terminated.
6. Training.—(1) All newly recruited personnel of the Force, shall undergo six months pre-service training before being assigned duties of the rank for which they are selected. Initially, the Appointing Authority shall arrange for appropriate training till a proper Levies Training Centre is established.
(2) The pre-service training mentioned in sub-rule (1) may contain training on basic laws, investigation techniques, mob control, basic intelligence, arrest and detention procedure, jail duties, drill, weapons training, field craft, bomb disposal, counter assault, traffic control, raids, watch & ward etc. Proper training syllabus and modules shall be developed through mutual consultation with local law enforcing agencies by the Commandant.
7. Resignation.—No member of the Force shall resign before the expiry of the first three months of his recruitment or he shall deposit an amount equal to his three months pay in lieu of his three months essential service.
8. Seniority and promotion.—(1) Promotion shall be strictly on seniority cum fitness basis as well as on the required length of service as specified in Schedule-I.
(2) The service of personnel by initial recruitment, promotion or transfer may be dispensed with or reverted if, in the opinion of the Competent Authority, his work and conduct is not satisfactory during probation period or due to abolishment of posts, as the case may be:
Provided that in case of dispensing with their service or reversion, the concerned authority shall record cogent reasons for such action in writing.
(3) The seniority list of the Force shall be maintained at Agency/FR/District level. Commandant shall be responsible for maintaining the seniority list of the force and shall notify annually.
9. Transfer during service.—Every member of the Force shall be liable to serve anywhere in their respective District, Agency or Frontier Region. An officer of the force may be transferred to any other District, Agency or Frontier Region in the public interest.
10. Punishment.—After satisfying himself regarding punishable act (as referred to in Schedule-II) through a charge duly framed in writing necessary punishment specified in Schedule-III shall be awarded by the respective authority:
Provided that punishment so awarded shall be duly incorporated in service roll/dossier accordingly.
11. Appeal.—If any personnel for the Force is aggrieved by any order issued under these rules, within thirty days of communication to him of such order, may prefer an appeal to the competent authority:
Provided that no appeal shall be lie against the punishments specified at S. No. (1) and (2) of Schedule-III.
12. Awards and commendations.—(1) Force personnel may be given special award and commendation certificate for devotion to duty, demonstration of gallantry and such achievement in the performance of duty, in the manners as prescribed by the Commandant, and Shall be made part of the service rolls/service dossier.
(2) Force personnel, if embraces martyrdom in the discharge of his duty, will be given proper Guard of Honour at the time of burial.
13. Service Record.—Proper service rolls/service dossiers of all Force Personnel shall be maintained in Levy Office of each District or Agency or Frontier Region. Annual Reports of all Havaldars and Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) will also be maintained for the purpose of promotion.
14. Uniform.—The levy personal shall attire black shalwar qamees with brown chappli, white socks, black barretee cap and black belt whereas the JCOs will wear brown belt during duty hours.
15. Leave.—(1) Leave may be granted depending on the exigencies and at the discretion of the Commandant. All leave of ten days or above, will be considered as long leave and shall be granted on the recommendations of Subedar Major by the Commandant.
(2) Casual leave may be allowed upto three days by the Subedar Major. Casual leave upto nine days may be granted by the Deputy Commandant (to be notified by the Commandant) on the recommendation of the concerned JCO.
(3) Medical leave shall be granted by the Commandant on the production of medical certificate from the Medical Superintended concerned.
16. Salary.—The Force personnel shall be entitled to receive pay and allowances as per their pay scales notified by the Federal Government from time to time.
17. Retirement.—All levy personnel shall retire as per Schedule-IV and no extension in service beyond retirement shall be granted.
18. Conduct.—The conduct of Force personnel shall be regulated by these rules or instructions issued by Federal Government from time to time.
19. Gratuity and pension.—All Force personnel will be entitled to pension as per prevailing Federal Government rules.