ACT NO. XI OF 2013
ISLAMABAD CAPITAL TERRITORY PRIVATE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS (REGISTRATION AND REGULATION) ACT, 2013
An Act to provide for the registration, regulation and functioning of private educational institutions in Islamabad Capital Territory
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 19th March, 2013]
No. F. 9(1)/2013-Legis.—The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on 16th March, 2013, is hereby published for general information:—
WHEREAS, it is expedient to regulate the functioning of private educational institutions in the Islamabad Capital territory and to provide for the registration of such institutions ensuring adequate transparency and proper discipline and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:—
1. Short title, extent and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the Islamabad Capital Territory Private Educational Institutions (Registration and Regulation )Act, 2013.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Islamabad Capital Territory.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.—In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(a) "Authority" means the Islamabad Capital Territory Private Educational Institutions Regulatory Authority (ICT-PEIRA) established under Section 3;
(b) "Board" means the Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Islamabad;
(c) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Authority;
(d) "college" means a privately managed college imparting education for intermediate or higher secondary education or equivalent;
(e) "Government" means the Federal Government;
(f) "institution" means a privately managed school, college, tuitions centre or an institution imparting education upto intermediate or higher secondary school level or equivalent;
(g) "member" means the member of the Authority;
(h) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules or regulations made under this Act;
(i) "privately managed" means an institution which is not owned or managed by a Government, a local body or a body set up or control led by the Government; and.
(j) "school" means a privately managed school or tuition centre imparting education at pre-primary level including day-care centre and from pre-primary level to secondary education level or equivalent.
3. Establishment of the Authority.—(1) There shall be established an Authority to be known as the Islamabad Capital Territory Private Educational Institutions Regulatory Authority (ICT-PEIRA).
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Act to enter into contracts, acquire and hold property, both movable and immovable, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
4. Aims and objectives of Authority.—The aims and objectives of the Authority shall be to register and regulate privately managed educational institutions in the Islamabad Capital Territory to ensure that such institutions follow a uniform policy that includes,—
(a) curricula according to Federal scheme of studies;
(b) duration of academic session and holidays or vacations;
(c) determination and fixation of rate of fee being charged by the institutions, qualifications of teaching staff, their terms and conditions of service including salaries and mode of payment of their salaries;
(d) promotion of curricular and co-cumcular activities on inter-institutional basis;
(e) achievement of fair measure of uniformity of academic standards and evaluation among the institutions;
(f) capacity building of teachers; and
(g) performance of such other functions as may be incidental or conducive, to the attainment of the aforementioned objectives.
5. Functions and power of the Authority.—(1) the functions and powers of the Authority shall be,—
(a) to regulate, determine and administer all matters and do all such acts and things as are necessary for the achieving of aims and objectives of this Act;
(b) to register and regulate, private educational institutions in Islamabad Capital Territory including fixation of grade-wise rate of admission fee, security fee, monthly tuition fee and other fees being charged by private educational institutions;
(c) to cause inspections to be made by such persons as the Authority may nominate of institutions applying for registration or of registered institutions;
(d) to withdraw registration if it is satisfied after the inspection that the management and instructions in an institution are not of Prescribed standard and are in violation of the provisions of this Act;
(e) to check qualifications of teaching staff and their terms and conditions of service;
(f) to fix, demand and receive such fee for registration and inspection of the institution as may be prescribed;
(g) to adopt measures to promote physical and moral well-being of students including sports facilities;
(h) to ensure that the services, quality of education being provided and salary paid to the teachers commensurate with the fee being charged;
(i) to ensure that the building of the institution is adequate and its structure is sound to house the students;
(j) to arrange for the annual audit of the accounts of the Authority;