THE AGRICULTURE CENSUS ACT, 1958
1ACT NO. XLI OF 1958
An Act to provide for certain matters for the purpose of taking agricultural census.
WHEREAS in a general meeting of the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations a decision has been taken urging the member countries to take agricultural census ;
1 For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Gaz. of P., 1958, Ext., P. 1509.
AND WHEREAS it is expedient to take agricultural census in pursuance of the said decision and to provide for certain matters for that purpose ;
AND WHEREAS in pursuance of the proviso to Article 108 of the Constitution the Governors of the Provinces of East Pakistan and West Pakistan have been consulted ;
It is hereby enacted as follows :___
1. Short title, extent and commencement. ___(1) This Act may be called the Agricultural Census Act, 1958.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the 3[Federal Government] may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint.
2. Definitions. In this Act unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context :___
(a) “census” means agricultural census ;
(b) “census officer” means an officer appointed for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act.
3. Census Officers. ___(1) The 3[Federal Government] may appoint__
(i) a Census Commissioner to supervise the taking of the census throughout Pakistan ;
(ii) Joint Census Commissioners, Deputy Census Commissioners and Assistant Census Commissioners to supervise the taking of census within the Provinces and the Federal Capital; and
1 I, e., the 1st December, 1958, see Gaz. of P., 1958, Pt. I, p. 469.
2 Subs. by F.A.O., 1975, Art. 2 and Table, for “Central Government”.
(iii) other census officers to take, aid in or supervise the taking of, the census within any specified area.
(2) The 1[Federal Government] may, by order, delegate the powers conferred upon it by clause (iii) of sub-section (1) to the Provincial Government or to such officer or authority subordinate to the Provincial Government as may be specified in the order.
(3) A declaration in writing, signed by any authority authorized by the 1[Federal Government] in this behalf, that a person has been duly appointed a census officer shall be conclusive proof of such appointment.
4. Collection of information for census. ___(1) For the purpose of taking census, information shall be collected on or with respect to the following matters, namely :___
(a) land ownership and land tenure ;
(b) land unit and subdivision of land ;
(c) land utilization;
(d) crop acreage and production ;
(e) livestock and poultry;
(f) employment in agriculture;
(g) agricultural population;
(h) agricultural power and machinery;