AIR UNIVERSITY ORDINANCE, 2002
ORDINANCE NO.CVII OF 2002
To provide for the establishment of the Air University at Islamabad
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the establishment of the Air university at Islamabad and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto;
AND WHEREAS the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamation of the fourteenth day of October, 1999, and the Provisional Constitution Order No.1 of 1999, read with the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No. 9 of 1999, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is plod to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title and commencement.-(1) This Ordinance may be called the Air University Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It shall conic into force at once.
2. Definitions: In this Ordinance, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University established under section 24;
(h) "affiliated institutions" means institutions authorized by the Board to conduct academic programmes approved by the University;
(c) "Authority" means any of the authorities of the University specified in section 18;
(d) "Board" means the Board of Governors of the University constituted under section 19;
(e) "Chancellor" means the Chancellor of the University;
(f) "Committee" means the Executive Committee of the University constituted under section 23;
(g) "constituent units" means the units maintained and administered by the University;
(h) "Director Academic Affairs" means the Director Academic Affairs appointed under section 12;
(i) "Director Examinations" means the Director Examinations appointed under section 13;
(j) "Director Finance" means the Director Finance appointed under section 14;
(k) "Director Research and Development" means the Director Research and Development appointed under section I5;
(I) "Head" means the I lead of a college or an Institute;
(m) "Institute" means an Institute that is a constituent unit of the University;
(n) "prescribed" means prescribed by regulations;
(o) "Pro-Chancellor" means the Pro-Chancellor of the University appointed under section 9;
(p) "Registrar" means the Registrar of the University;
(q) "regulations, rules aria Statutes" means regulation; rules and Statutes made under this Ordinance ;
(r) "University" means the Air University established under this Ordinance; and
(s) "Vice-Chancellor" means the Vice-Chancellor of the University appointed under section 10.
3. Establishment and incorporation of the University:__ (I) There shall be established a University to be known as the Air University consisting of-
(i) the Chancellor," the Pro-Chancellor, the Board, the Vice-Chancellor, the Registrar, the Directors and the I leads;
(ii) the governing bodies of constituent units by whatever names called;
(iii) members of such other councils, committees and administrative bodies as the Board may establish, from time to time;
(iv) members of the faculties and students of the colleges and Institutes which arc constituent units of the University; and
(v) such other officers and members of the stuff as may be specified by the Board, from time to time.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and shall by its name sue and be sued.
(3) The University shall have its principal seat at Islamabad.
(4) All the existing degree colleges and service institutions being managed by the Pakistan Air Force shall be constituent units of the University and any college or institution being managed by the Pakistan Air Force which is up-graded in future may become constituent unit of the University, as the Board may determine.
(5) The University may set up any number of colleges and Institutes as its constituent units at such places in Pakistan and abroad, as the Board may determine.
4. Purposes, powers and functions of the University.-(1) The purposes of the University shall be the promotion and dissemination of knowledge and technology and to provide for instructions, training, research, demonstration and service in such branches of learning as the Board may determine.
(2) The University shall have power to govern its academic and administrative functions in order to achieve its objectives.
(3) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing powers, the following shall be the powers and functions of the University, namely –
(a) To determine courses of study in the existing and other disciplines as may be added at all levels including Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral Degrees;
(b) to determine courses of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels in its constituent units where applicable as well us in its affiliated institutions;
(c) to select and examine students;
(d). to award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions;