ALTERNATIVE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT BOARD ACT, 2010
ACT No. XIV OF 2010
[25th May, 2010]
An Act to provide for establishment of Alternative Energy Development Board.
Whereas, it is expedient to provide for establishment of Alternative Energy Development Board (AEDB) as an autonomous body for the purpose of implementation of various policies, programmes and projects in the field of Alternative or Renewable Energy Technologies;
And whereas the objective of the Alternative Energy Development Board is to assist and facilitate development and generation of Alternative or Renewable Energy in order to achieve sustainable economic growth with transfer of technology for development of an indigenous technological base through a diversified energy generation;
It is hereby enacted as follows:___
CHAPTER – I
1. Short title, extent and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the Alternative Energy Development Board Act, 2010.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.___In this Act, unless there-is anything repugnant in the subject or context,___
(a) "Alternative or Renewable Energy" means energy that is produced by alternative or renewable resources as compared to the conventional or that are replenished naturally, which do not deplete when consumed and are non-polluting and environment friendly;
(b) "Board" means Alternative Energy Development Board (AEDB) established under section 3;
(c) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Board;
(d) "Chief Executive Officer (CEO)" means the Chief Executive Officer of the Board appointed under section 5;
(e) "Chief Secretary" means Chief Secretary of a Province;
(f) "Fund" means the Alternative Energy Fund (AEF) established under section 13;
(g) "Institute" means Institute of Alternative and Renewable Energy Technologies established under section 11;
(h) "Member" means Member of the Board;
(i) "Organization" means an organization of alternative and renewable energy established under section 10;
(j) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules or regulations made under this Act;
(k) "President" means President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan;
(l) "Prime Minister", means Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
(m) "Provincial Secretary" means a Secretary of a Provincial Government;
(n) "regulations" means the regulations made under this Act; and
(o) "rules" means the rules made under this Act.
CHAPTER – II
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT BOARD
3. Establishment of the Board.___ (1) There shall be established an Alternative Energy Development Board for carrying out the purposes and objectives of this Act.
(2) The Board shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal, with administrative and financial powers, subject to the provisions of this Act, to enter into agreements, contracts, acquire and hold property, both movable and immovable and to sue and be sued in its name.
(3) The head office of the 13oard shall be at Islamabad and the Board may set up sub-offices at such place or places as it may deem necessary.
(4) The Board shall comprise of the Chairman and Members.
4. Chairman of the Board.___The Chairman of the Alternative Energy Development Board shall be appointed by the Federal Government on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Federal Government.
5. Terms and conditions of office of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).___ (1) The Chief Executive Officer shall be appointed by the Federal Government and the terms and conditions of the Chief Executive Officer, his remuneration and privileges shall be such as may be determined by the Federal Government.
(2) The Chief Executive Officer shall be an eminent engineering professional of known integrity, competence and expertise in handling development projects.
(3) The Chief Executive Officer may resign from his office by giving one month notice by writing under his own hand, addressed to the Federal Government. The age of Chief Executive Officer shall not be more than 65 years.
(4) The Chief Executive Officer will be answerable to the Board for all administrative financial and technical matters–of the Board. The Board may delegate such administrative and financial powers to the Chief Executive Officer for carrying out day to day 'affairs of the Board.
6. Members of the Board.___ (1) The composition of the Board shall be as follows:___
(b) Secretary, Finance Division or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent;
(c) Secretary, Ministry of Water and Power or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent;
(d) Secretary, Planning and Development Division or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent;
(e) Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent;
(f) Secretary, Ministry of Science and Technology or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent;
(g) Secretary, Ministry of Environment or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent;
(h) Six Members from private sector, of whom at least three shall be experts on alternative energy, as full-time Members to be appointed by the Prime Minister on the recommendations of the Board;
(i) Chief Secretaries of the governments of Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab and Sindh or their nominees, not below the rank of Provincial Secretary; and
(j) The Chief Executive Officer of the AEDB.
(2) The Secretary of the Board shall be appointed by the Federal Government on the recommendations of the Board.
(3) The Federal Government may increase or decrease the number of Members of the Board from time to time as it may consider appropriate.
(4) The Federal Government may prescribe the qualifications and mode of appointment of Members from private sector in such manner as it may consider appropriate.
(5) The business of the Board shall be conducted as prescribed.
(6) One half of the total membership of the Board shall constitute the quorum and in case of equality of votes the Chairman shall have the casting vote.
(7) In the absence of the Chairman, a Member designated by the Chairman shall preside over the Board meeting.
7. Terms and conditions of office of Members.___ (1) A Member, other than an ex officio Member shall be appointed by the Federal Government for a period of three years, extendable for another term of three years.
(2) A Member, other than ex officio Member, may at any time resign from his office by giving one month notice, in writing under his own hand, addressed to the Federal Government.
(3) The Federal Government may remove any Member, other than ex officio Member, on grounds of misconduct and physical incapacitation.
8. Functions of the Board.___The functions of the Board, shall be following, namely:___
(a) to develop national strategy, policies and plans for utilization of alternative and renewable energy resources to achieve the targets approved by the Federal Government in consultation with the Board;
(b) to act as a forum for evaluating, monitoring and certification of alternative or renewable energy projects and products;