1THE AREA STUDY CENTRES ACT, 1975
1ACT No. XLV of 1975
[24th April, 1975]
An Act to provide for the establishment of Area Study Centres in the Universities for the study of contemporary societies particularly those which effect the national interest of Pakistan.
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the establishment of Area Study Centres in the Universities for the study of contemporary societies particularly those which affect the national interest of Pakistan;
It is hereby enacted as follows:—
1.Short title, extent and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the Area Study Centres Act, 1975.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(4) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definition. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(a) "Board" means a Board of Governors referred to in sub-section (1) of section 5;
(b) "Centre" means an Area Study Centre established under section 3;
(c) "Commission" means the University Grants Commission;
(d) "Director" means the Director of a Centre;
(e) "regulations" means regulations made under section 11; and
(f) "rules" means rules made under section 10.
3. Establishment of Centres. As soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, the Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, establish an Area Study Centre in a University specified in the notification.
4. Functions of Centres. A Centre shall—
(a) engage in high level teaching and research;
(b) train research workers;
1For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Gaz. of P., 1975, Ext., Pt. III, p. 170.
(c) establish M. Phil., Ph. D. and other programmes in the relevant disciplines in accordance with the standard and requirements of the University;
(d) promote cooperation in inter-disciplinary relationship with other teaching and research establishments;
(e) arrange conferences, seminars and refresher courses for the development of teaching and research; and
(f) conduct teaching and research in such particular field as is assigned to it by the Federal Government after consultation with the University.
5. Board of Governors.— (1) The management, overall control and supervision of the affairs of a Centre established in University shall vest in a Board of Governors consisting of the following, members, namely:—
(a) Vice-Chancellor of the University, who shall also be its Chairman;
(b) a representative of the Commission ;.
(c) a representative of the Pakistan History Commission;
(d) a representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
(e) a representative of the Ministry of Education;
(f) Dean of the Faculty of the University;
(g) two experts in the relevant discipline to be nominated by the Federal Government on the recommendation of the Commission;
(h) one nominee of the Syndicate of the University;
(i) one nominee of the Academic Council of the