WEST PAKISTAN REDEMPTION AND RESTITUTION OF MORTGAGED LANDS ACT, 1964
Short title, extent and commencement
REDEMPTION OF MORTGAGE
Petition of redemption
Deposit of amount due under mortgages
Powers of Collector to order ejectment
Directions that the Collector shall make when ordering ejectment
Saving of suits to establish rights
No second petition
Cessation of interest
RESTITUTION OF MORTGAGES
Petition of restitution
Petition when to be dismissed
Power of Collector to declare and enforce order in favour of mortgagor
Effect of order of restitution when compensation is payable
Limitation for appeals
Jurisdiction of Civil Court barred
Collector's powers to deliver possession
Collector have certain powers of Civil Courts
Application of Civil Procedure Code in certain matters
Return of deposit
Deposit not to be attached
Powers to make rules
Repeal and saving
Punjab Redemption and Restitution of Mortgaged Land (Amendment) Ordinance, 2001
West Pakistan Redemption and Restitution of Mortgaged Lands Act, 1964
(XIX of 1964)
[31st July 1964]
An Act to consolidate the law relating to the redemption and restitution of mortgages of land in the Province of West Pakistan.
Whereas it is expedient to consolidate the law relating to the redemption and restitution of certain mortgages of land in the Province of West Pakistan, in the manner hereinafter appearing;
1. Short title, extent and commencement: (1) This Act may be called the West Pakistan Redemption and Restitution of Mortgaged Lands Act, 1964.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Province of West Pakistan, except the Tribunal Areas.
(3) It shall come into force in such area and from such dates as Government may be notification in the official Gazette direct.
2. Definitions: In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, the following expressions shall have the meaning hereby respectively assigned to them, that is to say.
(a) ‘Board of Revenue’ means the Board of Revenue established under the West Pakistan Board of Revenue Act, 1957;
(b) ‘Collector’ means the Collector of the District in which the mortgaged land or any part thereof is situated and shall include any Revenue Officer specially empowered by the Board of Revenue to perform the duties of a Collector for the purposes of this Act;
(c) 1[‘‘Executive District Officer (Revenue)’]. means the 2[‘‘Executive District Officer (Revenue)’‘]. of the 3[‘‘District’] in which the mortgaged land or any part thereof is situated, and shall include any officer specially empowered by the Board of Revenue to perform the duties of a Commissioner for the purposes of this Act;
(d) ‘Government’ means the Government of West Pakistan;
(e) ‘Land’ means land which is not occupied as the site of any building in a town or village and is occupied or let for agricultural purposes or for purposes subservient to agriculture or for pasture, and includes-
(i) the sites of buildings and other structures on such lands ;
(ii) a share in the profits of an estate or holding ;
(iii) a right to receive rent;
(iv) any right to water enjoyed by the owner or occupier of land as such ; and
(v) all trees standing on such land ;
(f) ‘Mortgagor’ or ‘mortgagee’ includes the assignee and the representative-in-interest of such ‘mortgagor’ or ‘mortgagee’ as the case may be ;
(g) ‘Prescribed’ means prescribed by rules made under this Act.
1. Subs. by the Punjab Redemption and Restitution of Mortgaged Land (Amendment) Ordinance, 2001.
2. Subs. by the Punjab Redemption and Restitution of Mortgaged Land (Amendment) Ordinance, 2001.
3. Subs. by the Punjab Redemption and Restitution of Mortgaged Land (Amendment) Ordinance, 2001.
REDEMPTION OF MORTGAGES
3. Petition for redemptions: After the principal money becomes due and before a suit for redemption is barred, a mortgagor of land not exceeding fifty acres in area or of land the principal money secured by which does not exceed five thousand rupees, may apply to the Collector for an order directing that the mortgage be redeemed and that he be put in possession.
Explanation I: The area of any share in the common land of the village or of a sub-division appertaining thereto and mortgaged with the land; shall not be taken into consideration while determining the area of the land mortgaged.
Explanation II: This section shall not apply to usufructuary mortgage effected for a specific number of years and intended to terminate without the repayment of any part of its consideration.
4. Deposit of amount due under mortgage: The mortgagor shall, in his application, declare what sum is to the best of his knowledge due under the mortgage and deposit such sum with the Collector at the time of making the application.
5. Power of Collector to order ejectment: Where the Collector, after hearing the mortgagee and holding such enquiry as may be prescribed, is satisfied that the mortgagor has a right to redeem and has deposited or is prepared to pay the sum which the Collector finds due under the mortgage he shall make an order directing that the mortgage be redeemed.
6. Directions that the Collector shall make when ordering ejectment: (1) Where the Collector makes an order for the redemption of a mortgage, and the whole of the mortgage amount found due has been deposited with him, the order shall direct that such amount be paid to the mortgagee and the excess amount, if any, deposited by the mortgagor be refunded to him.
(2) Where the whole of the mortgage amount found due has not been deposited, the order for the redemption of the mortgage shall direct-
(a) that a sum which together with the-sum already deposited will equal the mortgage amount found due be deposited with the Collector by the mortgagor within thirty days or within such further period as may be specified by the Collector in this behalf ; or
(b) that on deposit of such amount together with costs, if any, the mortgage shall be extinguished and the mortgagee shall deliver possession of the mortgaged land to the mortgagor, whose title thereto shall be deemed to have accrued from the date of such deposit; and
(c) that the mortgage amount found due by the Collector and deposited by the mortgagor, together with costs, if any, be paid to the mortgagee.
(3) If the mortgage amount and the costs (if any) are not deposited within the period specified in sub-section (1) the petition shall be dismissed with costs.
7. Saving of suits to establish rights: Any party aggrieved by an order of the Collector passed under Section 5 or 6 may institute a suit to establish his rights in respect of the mortgage, but, subject to the result of such suit, if any, the order shall be conclusive:
[Provided that notwithstanding the provisions of Article 14 of Schedule I of the Limitation Act of 1908, a mortgagor may file a suit for the redemption of his mortgaged land within the unexpired period of limitation fixed by law for the redemption of the mortgaged lands.]
8. No second petition: The dismissal of a petition under this Chapter shall bar any further petition under this Chapter by the same petitioner or his representative-in-interest in respect of the same mortgage.
9. Cessation of interest: When the petitioner has deposited with the Collector the sum declared by the Collector to be due on the mortgage, and such sum is accepted by the mortgagee, or is found by the Collector to be the sum actually due interest on the mortgage shall cease from the date of the deposit.
Restitution of Mortgages
10. Petition for restitution: The mortgagor of any subsisting usufructuary mortgage not less than twenty years old, or of any usufructuary mortgage the period whereof has expired, may present a petition to the Collector for the restitution of possession of the mortgaged land.