West Pakistan Rice (Restriction on Cultivation) Ordinance, 1959
Ordinance LVII of 1959
17th December, 1959
An Ordinance to regulate the cultivation of rice in the Province of West Pakistan.
WHEREAS in order to check the increase of water-logging. salinity seepage and the resultant damage to land in the Province of West Pakistan, it is expedient to regulate the cultivation of rice in the Province in the manner hereinafter appearing;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Presidential Proclamation of the seventh day of October, 1958, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of West Pakistan is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance: –
1. Short title, extent and commencement: (1) This Ordinance may be called the West Pakistan Rice (Restriction on Cultivation) Ordinance, 1959.
(2) It extends the whole of the Province of West Pakistan except the Tribal Areas.
(3) It shall apply in such area and on such date as the Board of Revenue may, by notification appoint in this behalf
2. Definition: In this Ordinance –
(i) 'Board of Revenue' means the Board of Revenue, West Pakistan, as established under the West Pakistan Board of Revenue Act, 1957.
(ii) 'Government' means the government of West Pakistan.
3. Power to regulate the cultivation of Rice: 'The Board of Revenue may, by notification, prohibit or impose such restrictions on the cultivation of rice in such area as may be specified in the notification.
Provided that a cultivator shall be entitled to gather the standing crop raised by him before the issue of such notification.
4. Penalty: Whoever contravenes the provisions of tins Ordinance or rules made or directions issued thereunder shall, on a complaint made in writing by any Revenue Officer, be punished with fine which may extend to ten times the land revenue assessment chargeable for the crop or simple imprisonment exceeding six months or both.
5. Jurisdiction of Civil Courts: No Civil Court shall have jurisdiction to entertain any claim, suit, prosecution or any other legal proceedings for anything done, or intended to be done in good faith under the provisions of this Ordinance, or the rules made and directions issued thereunder
6. Power to make rules. For the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Ordinance, the Board of Revenue may frame rules and issue such directions in the Form of Standing Orders as it may deem fit.