CHILD MARRIAGE RESTRAINT (PUNJAB AMENDMENT) ORDINANCE, 1971
(Pb Ordinance XXIII of 1971)
2nd December 1971
An Ordinance further to amend the
Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929, in its application to the Province of the Punjab
Preamble : —
WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend the Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929, in its application to the Province of the Punjab, in the manner hereinafter appearing;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Martial Law Proclamation of 25th March, 1969, read with the Provisional Constitution Order, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement : — (1) This Ordinance may be called the Child Marriage Restraint (Punjab Amendment) Ordinance, 1971.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Punjab.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment of section 2 of Act XIX of 1929 : — In the Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929, as amended by section 12 of the Muslim Family Laws Ordinance, 1961, in its application to the Province of the Punjab, hereinafter referred to as the said Act, in section 2 : —
(i) At the end of clause (c), the word “and” shall be added;
(ii) The colon appearing at the end of clause (d) shall be replaced by a full-stop; and
(iii) Clause (e) shall be omitted.
3. Amendment of section 9 of Act XIX of 1929 : — In section 9 of the said Act, the words and commas “except on a complaint made by the Union Council, or if there is no Union Council in the area, by such authority as the Provincial Government may in this behalf prescribe, and such cognizance shall in no case be taken” occurring after the words “under this Act” and before the words “after the expiry” shall be omitted.