PUNJAB CIVIL SERVANTS (CHANGE IN NOMENCLATURE OF SERVICES AND ABOLITION OF CLASSES) RULES, 1974
5th July, 1974
In exercise of the powers conferred by section 23 of the Punjab Civil Servants Act, 1974 the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make the following rules:-
1.-(l) These rules may be called the Punjab Civil Servants (Change in Nomenclature of Services and Abolition of Classes) Rules, 1974.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. In these rules unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context :-
(a) 'Classes' means Class I, Class II, Class III and Class IV in which the civil posts and services are classified under any rules or orders for the time being in force ;
(b) 'Functional Unit' means a group of posts or a part of such group sanctioned as a separate unit in or under a department.
(c) 'Grade' means 'national scale of pay' in which a number of posts, in a functional unit, carrying same duties and responsibilities is placed : provided that in the case of person who does not opt for the national scale of pay, or the post which has not been placed in the national scales of pay 'National Scale of Pay' means the presumptive national scale of pay corresponding to the existing scale of pay in which such person, or as the case may be, the post would have been placed but for the aforesaid reasons: Provided further that in case of a person whose pay has been fixed in the national scale of pay corresponding to the prenational scales selection grades or who moves over to the next higher national scale of pay without change in the nature of duty and assumption of higher responsibilities or under prescribed conditions after reaching the maximum of the lower national scale of pay, 'national scale of pay' means the lowest national scale of pay admissible for his post;
(d) 'Province' means the Province of the Punjab ;
(e) 'Punjab Unified Grade' means the grade to which a civil servant is entitled in respect of his existing post; and
(f) 'Services' means the Civil Service of the Province and include civil posts connected with the affairs of the Province.
3. Notwithstanding anything contained in any rule, order, regulation or instruction, the names of services, are with immediate effect, changed to Unified Grades all references to a service in any rule, order, regulation or instruction shall, consistent with the subject and context, be construed as reference to the respective Punjab Unified Grade.
4. All persons other than the persons appointed on ad hoc basis, who immediately before the coming into force of these rules were members of a service or held a civil post connected with the affairs of the Province are, subject to their existing inter se seniority position, appointed in their existing posts to the respective Punjab Unified Grade.
5. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Civil Services Rules and any other rules for the time being in force all classes and classification of service and posts as Gazetted and non-Gazetted are abolished.
6. For the purposes of application of any existing rule, order or instruction, reference to a class or to a post as Gazetted or Non-Gazetted shall he construed as reference to the corresponding Grade as specified in the table below:-
Gazetted Posts Class
(1) Class I
(1) Grades 17 to 23
(2) Class II
(2) Grade No. 16
(3) Special Gazetted
(3) Grade No. 16
(4) Class III
(4) Grades 3 to 15
(5) Class IV
(5) Grades 1 to 2
7. Notwithstanding anything contained in any rule, order or instruction, all reservations of posts for purposes of appointment, promotion or transfer in favour of persons belonging to a particular service or cadre, or holding a particular post, are abolished.