CHIEF EXECUTIVE'S ORDER 1 OF 2002
ELECTION COMMISSION ORDER, 2002
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part I,
14th January, 2002
F. No.2(4)/2002-Pub., dated 14-1-2002.—The following Order promulgated by the Chief Executive is hereby published for general information:— ..
In pursuance of the Proclamation of Emergency of the fourteenth – day of October, 1999, read with the Provisional Constitution Order No. l of 1999, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the Chief Executive of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is pleased to make and promulgate the following Order: –
1. Short title and commencement. – (1) This Order may be called the Election Commission Order, 2002.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Chief Election Commissioner. — (1) There shall be a Chief Election Commissioner, hereinafter referred to as the Commissioner, who shall be-appointed by the President, in his discretion, for a term of three years.
(2) As provided in clause (2) of Article 213 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, 1973, no person shall be appointed to be Commissioner unless he is, or has been, a Judge of the Supreme Court or is, or has been, a Judge of High Court and is qualified under paragraph (a) of clause (2) of Article 177 of the Constitution to be appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court,
(3) The Commissioner shall have such powers and functions as are conferred on him by this Order and law.
(4) The Commissioner may, by writing under his hand addressed to the President, resign his office.
3. Commissioner's oath of office.—Before entering upon office, the Commissioner shall make before the Chief Justice of Pakistan oath in the form set out in the Schedule.
4. Acting Commissioner.—At any time when—
(a) The office of Commissioner is vacant, or
(b) The Commissioner is absent or is unable to perform the functions of his office due to any other cause, a Judge of the Supreme Court nominated by the Chief Justice of Pakistan shall act as Commissioner.
5. Election of Commission.—(1) For the purpose of the general election to the National Assembly and to a Provincial Assembly, and for the purpose of election to the Senate, an Election Commission shall be constituted in accordance with this Article.
(2) The Election Commission shall consist of : —