ELECTRICITY RULES, 1978 (Sind Amendment)
Notification No. SOPP-5/6-73. (Sind Gaz., Pt. IV-A, 21-12-78). In pursuance of the provisions of Rule 48 of the Electricity Rules, 1937, the Government of Sind are pleased to direct that the Rules and Forms issued under the said Rule 48 shall stand reconstituted to the following extent:-
1. For Rule 9, the following shall be substituted: –
'9–Examinations. -Examinations under these Rules shall be held once a year separately for Karachi and Hyderabad Regions with respective centers at Karachi and Hyderabad on such date or dates as may be fixed by the Board.'
2. For Rule 14 and Notes thereunder, the following shall be substituted: –
'14-Qualifications. No Candidate shall be eligible to appear in the Supervisors Examination unless: –
(a) he is of at least twenty one years of age;.
(b) he is certified by a registered Medical Practitioner to be physically fit;
(c) he has passed Matriculation Examination or an equivalent Examination from a recognised Board or University;
(d) he has passed Examination for wireman ; and
(e) he has at least five years' practical experience in electric trade, acceptable to the Board.
(1) Examination under the old Rules for failures: Provided that a candidate who has previously failed in the examination shall have one chance to appear in the next examination under the old Rules.
(2) Examination from Supervisor's Competency certificate Examination. A candidate who possesses a degree in Electrical Engineering from any recognised University and at least and year's practical experience in Electrical trade after passing Degree or possesses three years Diploma or equivalent certificate in Electrical Engineering from any recognised Board or Technical Institution and at least three years Practical experience in electrical trade after passing Diploma may be exempted by the Board from passing the Supervisor's Examination subject to such tests as it may consider proper.'
3. In Rule 16, for the notes the following shall be substituted: –
(1) Exemption from Wiremen's Examination. A candidate who possesses the following qualifications and experience may be exempted from passing the Wiremen's Examination of the Board subject to such tests as it may consider proper'
(a) Passed 18 months or one year Wireman Course from any School or Institution approved by the Board.
(b) Successfully completed an apprenticeship on practical training for a further, period of six months or one year so that a full period of two years, has been served, subject to such tests as may be considered proper by the Board.
(2) A candidate who is physically fit and possesses original certificates of competency or permit for Electrical Supervisor/wireman from any other Province in Pakistan or a foreign country issued by competent authority shall be entitled to an equivalent exchange certificate or permit on payment of prescribed fees subject to such tests as may be considered proper by the Board; provided that the candidates for Supervisor's exchange are matriculate and not less than twenty one year of age.'
4. For Rule 23, the following shall be substituted: –
'23. Grant of Certificate of Competency and Permit to Supervisors.
(i) Every candidate who secures forty percent marks in individual subject and forty five percent marks in the aggregate shall be declared to have passed the Supervisor's Examination.
(ii) Every candidate who has passed, the Supervisor's Examination or has been exempted from passing such examination be granted a Certificate of Competency in Form B or C, as the case may be and a permit in Form D.'
5. For Rule 24, the following shall he substituted: –
'24. Grant of Certificate and Permit to Wireman.
(i) Every candidate who secures forty percent marks in individual subject and forty five percent in aggregate shall be declared to have passed the Wiremen's Examination.
(ii) Every candidate who has passed the Examination for Wiremen shall be granted a certificate in Form E and a permit in Form G.'
6. For Rule 26, the following shall be substituted: —
'26. Withdrawal, Suspension and Cancellation of Certificates and Permits.- A certificate or permit granted under these Rules shall be liable to the withdrawn or suspended for such period as the Board may decide if the holder thereof is found guilty of negligence or malpractice or infringement of any of these Rules or instructions issued from time to time and shall stand cancelled;
(a) on the death of the holder ;
(b) on holder becoming permanently disabled ; and
(c) on holders being convicted by a Court.'
7. For Rule 28, the following shall be substituted:
'28. Grant of duplicate Certificate or Permit.- A duplicate of the Certificate and Permit granted under these Rules shall be issued on payment of fees prescribed and on production of proof of the loss of the original certificate or permit to the satisfaction of the Secretary of the Board together with the latest copy of the Photograph of the holder of such Certificate or Permit.
8. For Rule 29, the following shall be substituted:
'29. Grant of Electrical Contractor's Licence.- An Electrical Contractor's Licence shall be granted only to a person (or a registered firm), if such person or firm–
(1) holds a certificate of competency and permit and personally executes or supervises all work undertaken by it or him or has employed a supervisor holding a certificate of competency and permit under whose direct supervision such work is carried out and has in his or its employment atleast one licensed wireman;
(2) has in possession the following instruments for carrying out tests required under the Electricity Rules, 1937 :–
(i) one insulation testing set of 500/1000V, constant pressure type zero to infinity range;
(ii) one portable Voltmeter suitable for 0-50V range;
(iii) one tong tester of 0-100A 0-500V range; and
(iv) one earth resistance tester of 0-10 ohms range ;
(3) (a) for the purpose of carrying out normal electrical contracting business maintains separate, independent, suitable business premises of not less than 6 Sq meters in a commercial Area/Bazaar/Main Road to the satisfaction of the Secretary of the Board ;
(b) has at its business premises sufficient quantities of various electrical wiring material and tools and a sign = board of not less than 1 Sq. meter in area hung or posted at conspicuous place to the satisfaction of the Secretary of the Board; and
(c) Produces documentary proof to the satisfaction of Secretary of the Board for being owner or tenant of the premises.
(4) Produces a solvency certificate from a competent Court or a Bank Guarantee to the tune of Rs. 10,000.
(5) has no direct or indirect interest in more than two Electrical Contractor's Licences.
1. All applicants for grant of Contractor's Licence shall get themselves registered with Income-tax Authorities of the Region and shall submit G.I.R/R.R. Registration Certificate.
2. All applicants in partnership for grant of contractors's licence shall submit partnership deed registered under the Registration Act, 1908.
3. The existing Licenced Contractors shall obtain new licences under this Rule within one year of its enforcement.
4. Every supervisor or wireman in the employment of a Licenced Electrical Contractor shall submit an affidavit on a stamp paper duly attested by a First Class Magistrate and a Declaration in Form K or I and M or N respectively, as the case may be.
5. The Board shall be competent to relax for a specified period the condition of having any testing instruments which are not readily available in the market during that specified period.
6. If a Licenced Electrical Contractor at any time desires to shift his business premises he shall intimate at least one week before shifting to new premises alongwith the address and rent receipt of prescribed fees.
7. If at any time the Licenced Electrical Contractor fails to maintain his business premises as defined in Rule 29 (3) his licence shall stand suspended.':
9. For Rule 32, the following shall be substituted :'
'32. Cancellation of Contractor's Licence.- If the holder of a Competency Certificate on the strength of whose permit a licence has been granted to an Electrical Contractor, leaves the service of such contractor, such contractor's licence shall be deemed to have been cancelled unless such contractor employs a person holding a certificate aforesaid within one month from the date on which such holder had left such contractor's service.'
10. For Rule 33, the, following shall be substituted :–
'33. Notice of termination of service of Supervisor:-