HAJVERY UNIVERSITY, LAHORE, ORDINANCE, 2002
Pb Ord LIX of 2002
2 October, 2002
An Ordinance to provide for the establishment of the Hajvery University, Lahore.
Preamble.− Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of the Hajvery University, Lahore and for matters ancillary and connected thereto in the manner hereinafter appearing;
And whereas the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab stands dissolved and the Governor is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
And whereas under Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No.9 of 1999, as amended by the Chief Executive Order No.11 of 2000, the Governor of a Province may issue and promulgate an Ordinance;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the aforesaid powers and all other powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
- Short title and commencement.− (1) This Ordinance may be called the Hajvery University, Lahore, Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
- Definitions.− In this Ordinance unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context –
(a) “Academic Council” means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
(c) “Chairperson of Department” means the head of a teaching department;
(d) “Company” means the Syed Ali Hajvery University Trust;
(e) “Dean” means the Chairman of the Board of a Faculty;
(f) “Faculty” means a faculty of the University;
(g) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
(h) “Patron” means the Governor of the Punjab;
(i) “Rector” means the Rector of the University;
(j) “Registrar” means the Registrar of the University;
(k) “Statutes”, “Regulations” and “Rules” mean respectively the Statutes, the Regulations and the Rules made or deemed to have been made under this Ordinance; and
(l) “University” means the Hajvery University, Lahore as constituted under this Ordinance.
- Establishment of the University.− (1) There shall be established a University to be called the Hajvery University, Lahore with its campus located at Lahore.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall, by the said name, sue and be sued.
- Functions and powers of the University.− The functions and powers of the University shall be-
(a) to provide for instruction and training in –
(i) Computer Sciences, Business Administration, Fashion Designing and Merchandising, Commerce, English and Economics; and
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board of Governors may determine with the approval of the Patron given on the recommendation of a committee constituted by the Education Department:
Provided that in case of medical and engineering education, approval of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Pakistan Engineering Council respectively shall be a pre-requisite;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations and confer on or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote faculties;
(e) to prescribe courses of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programs.
- Jurisdiction.− (1) The jurisdiction of the University shall be restricted to the Province of the Punjab.
(2) The University shall not open any sub-campus or affiliate any other educational institution for a period of ten years from the commencement of this Ordinance after which period it may have sub-campuses with the approval of the Patron.
- Patron.− (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Patron of the University.
(2) The Patron or his nominee shall preside at the convocations of the University.
(3) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Patron.
- Inspection and inquiry.− (1) The Patron may cause an inspection or inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the University.
(2) The Patron shall communicate to the Board of Governors his views with regard to the result of the inspection or inquiry and shall, after ascertaining the views of the Board, advise the Board on the action to be taken by it.
(3) The Board of Governors shall, within such time as may be specified by the Patron, communicate to him such action as has been taken as a result of the inspection or inquiry.
(4) Where the Board of Governors does not, within the time specified, take action to the satisfaction of the Patron, the Patron may issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Board shall comply with all such directions.
(5) The Patron may, on the recommendation of a Committee constituted by the Patron and comprising a nominee of the Board of Governors, a Judge of the Lahore High Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said Court and a Professor Emeritus or Vice Chancellor, take any action against the University including its closure.
(6) The Government may make Rules to give effect to the provisions of sub-section (5).
(7) The Patron shall have the authority to annul any decision or action of the Board of Governors, which he thinks was taken against the interest of academic excellence, religious and cultural ideology and national integrity.
- Board of Governors.− (1) The Board of Governors of the University shall consist of the following:-
(i) the Chairman of the Syed Ali Hajvery University Trust;
(ii) members of the Board of Directors of the Company subject to a maximum of eight members;
(iii) the Chairman, University Grants Commission or his nominee not below the rank of a whole time member;
(iv) a Vice Chancellor of a University in the Punjab nominated by the Patron;
(v) the Rector; and
(vi) Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Education Department or his nominee not below the rank of an Additional Secretary.
(2) The Chairman of the Company shall be the Chairman of the Board.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Board shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
- Rector.− (1) The Rector shall be appointed by the Government on such terms and conditions as may be determined on the recommendations of the Board.
(2) The Rector shall perform such functions as are assigned to him by the Board.
- Powers and functions of the Board of Governors.− The administration and management of the affairs of the University shall vest in the Board.
- Business of the Board.− (1) The meetings and the business of the Board shall be conducted in such manner and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed in the Regulations and until these matters are prescribed, as may be determined by the Board.
(2) No Statute, Regulation or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Board.
- Appointments.− The University may appoint such persons in its services as may be necessary on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
- Delegation of powers.− The Board may delegate to any person or a committee any of its powers, duties or functions.
- University Fund.− There shall be a fund to be known as the Hajvery University, Lahore Fund which shall vest in the University and to which shall be credited all sums received by the University.
- Budget, audit and accounts.− The budget of the University shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained and audited in such manner as may be prescribed by the Board.
- Regulations.− The Board may, by notification, make Regulations for the administration and management of the affairs of the University.
- Removal of difficulties.− If any difficulty arises in giving effect to any of the provisions of this Ordinance, the Government may, in consultation with the Board, give such directions, not inconsistent with the said provisions, as it may consider necessary for the removal of such difficulty.
- Academic Council.− (1) The Academic Council shall consist of−
(i) the Rector (Chairman);
(ii) all the Deans;
(iii) all the Heads of the Departments/Institutes;
(iv) all Professors and Associate Professors of the University;
(v) nominee of the Secretary Education not below the rank of Deputy Secretary;
(vi) two Associate Professors, two Assistant Professors and two Lecturers to be nominated by the Board;
(vii) three persons eminent in the fields of arts and sciences of whom at least one shall be from each category, to be nominated by the Board;
(viii) Director Academic, University Grants Commission; and
(ix) the Registrar (Member/Secretary).
(2) Members appointed by nomination shall hold office for three years;
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Academic Council shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
- Powers and duties of Academic Council.− (1)The Academic Council shall be the academic body of the University and shall, by the Statutes, have the powers to lay down proper standards of instruction, research, publication and examination and to regulate and promote the academic life of the University.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing powers and subject to the provisions of this Ordinance and the Statutes, the Academic Council shall have the powers to-
(a) advise the Board of Governors on academic matters;
(b) regulate the conduct of teaching, research, publication and examinations;
(c) regulate the admission of students to the courses of studies and examinations in the University;
(d) regulate the conduct and discipline of the students of the University;
(e) propose to the Board of Governors scheme for the constitution and organization of faculties and teaching departments;
(f) consider or formulate proposals for the Planning and Development of teaching and research in the University;
(g) make Regulations prescribing the courses of studies, the syllabi and the outlines of tests for all University examinations subject to the approval of the Board of Governors;
(h) regulate the award of studentships, scholarships, exhibitions, medals and prizes;
(i) frame Regulations for submission to the Board of Governors;
(j) appoint/nominate members to the various Authorities in accordance with the provisions of this Ordinance; and
(k) perform such other functions as may be prescribed by Statutes.
- First Statutes.− The Schedule prescribes the Regulations for the establishment of the departments, faculties and bodies under the First Statutes of the University.
- Repeal.− The Syed Ali Hajvery Institute of Technology and Management Sciences, Lahore, Ordinance, 2002 (XXI of 2002), is hereby repealed.
- Savings.− On the commencement of this Ordinance –
(i) all funds, properties, rights and interests of whatsoever kind issued, used, enjoyed, possessed, owned by or vested in the Syed Ali Hajvery Institute of Technology and Management Sciences, Lahore, existing immediately before the commencement of this Ordinance and all liabilities subsisting against the said Institute shall stand transferred to the University established under this Ordinance; and
(ii) everything done, action taken, obligations and liabilities incurred, rights and assets acquired, persons appointed or authorized, jurisdictions or powers conferred, endowments, bequests, funds or trusts created, donations or grants made or orders issued by the Syed Ali Hajvery Institute of Technology and Management Sciences, Lahore, existing immediately before the commencement of this Ordinance shall be deemed to have been respectively done, taken, incurred, acquired, appointed or authorized, conferred, created, made or issued under this Ordinance.
(See Section 20)
THE FIRST STATUTES OF
THE HAJVERY UNIVERSITY, LAHORE.
- FACULTIES.− There shall be a faculty for a teaching department or a group of teaching departments. The University shall include the following faculties and such other faculties as may be prescribed:-
(a) Faculty of Business Administration;
(b) Faculty of Computer Sciences;
(c) Faculty of Fashion Designing and Merchandising;
(d) Faculty of Commerce;
(e) Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (Economics); and
(f) Faculty of Languages and Literature (English).
- BOARD OF FACULTY.− (1) There shall be a Board of each Faculty which shall consist of –
(a) the Dean of the Faculty;