PUNJAB KINNAIRD COLLEGE FOR WOMEN, LAHORE
Ord LXXV of 2002
25 October 2002
An ordinance to reconstitute and reorganize the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore.
Preamble.— Whereas it is expedient to reconstitute and reorganize the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore in co-operation with the Association of the Kannaird College for Women, Lahore being the owner and previous management of the College, and to make provisions connected therewith and ancillary thereto;
And whereas the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab is dissolved and the Governor is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
And whereas under Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No.9 of 1999, as amended by the Chief Executive Order No.11 of 2000, the Governor of a Province may issue and promulgate an Ordinance;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the aforesaid powers and all other powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
- Short title and commencement.— (1) This Ordinance may be called the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
- Definitions.— In this Ordinance, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context –
(a) “Association” means the Association of the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore;
(b) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
(c ) “College” means the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore;
(d) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
(e) “Governor” means the Governor of the Punjab;
(f) “prescribed” means prescribed by rules made under this Ordinance; and
(g) “Principal” means the Principal of the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore.
- Incorporation.— (1) The College shall be reconstituted and reorganized in accordance with the provisions of this Ordinance.
(2) The College shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property other than that owned by the Association, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
- Board of Governors.— (1) The Board shall consist of the following: –
(i) Chairman of the Association;
(ii) Vice Chairman of the Association;
(iii) Secretary to the Government of the Punjab, Education Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary;
(iv) Secretary to the Government of the Punjab, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary;
(v) Secretary to the Government of the Punjab, Finance Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary;
(vi) eight nominees of the Association;
(vii) one alumnae of the College to be nominated by the Board;
(viii) one member of the teaching staff of the College to be selected by the Board;
(ix) Principal, Convent of Jesus and Mary, Lahore;
(x) two distinguished educationists or eminent persons to be nominated by the Governor for a period of three years if not prematurely removed by the Governor in his discretion;
(xi) Chairman Higher Education Commission or his nominee; and
(xii) the Principal.
(2) Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Association shall be the Chairman and Vice Chairman respectively of the Board and the Principal shall be the Secretary of the Board.
- Powers and functions of the Board.— (1) The administration and management of the affairs of the College shall vest in the Board.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions, the functions and powers of the Board shall be to –
(i) take effective measures to raise the standards of teaching, research and other academic pursuits in the light of national and international needs with special emphasis on education and training in scientific and technological disciplines;
(ii) hold, control and administer the property and funds of the College;
(iii) consider and approve the annual and revised budget estimates;
(iv) transfer and accept transfer of moveable and immoveable property on behalf of the College;
(v) enter into and cancel contracts on behalf of the College;
(vi) cause proper books of accounts to be kept for all sums of moneys received and expended by the College, and for the assets and liabilities of the College;
(vii) invest any money belonging to the College, as the Board may determine, with the like power of varying such investments;
(viii) receive and manage any property transferred, and grants, bequests, trusts, gifts, donations, endowments and other contributions made to the College;