Punjab Agriculturists’ Loans Act, 1958
23rd April 1958
An Act to consolidate the law
relating to the advancement and recovery of
taccavi loans for agricultural purposes in the Province of the
Preamble : —
WHEREAS it is expedient to consolidate the law relating to the advancement and recovery of taccavi loans for agricultural purposes in the Province of the
It is hereby enacted as follows : —
1. Short title and extent : — (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Agriculturists’ Loans Act, 1958.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Province of the
2. Power of Government to make rules : — (1) Government may make rules as to : —
(a) loans to be made to owners and occupiers of arable land for the relief of distress, purchase of land, cattle and seed and other agricultural purposes; and
(b) sale of seed on credit to owners and occupiers of agricultural land.
(2) All such rules shall be published in the official Gazette.
3. Recovery of loans : — The loans made, the price of seed sold and the interest (if any) chargeable thereon, together with the cost of recovery, if any, shall be recoverable as arrears of land revenue from the persons to whom the loans were made or the seed was sold or their sureties.
4. Liability of joint borrowers as among themselves : — When a joint loan is made under this Act to members of a village community or any other persons on such terms that all of them are jointly and severally bound to pay the whole amount and a statement showing the shares of the various borrowers, signed, marked, or sealed by such of them or their duly authorized agents and the officer making the order is entered upon the order granting the loan that statement shall be conclusive evidence of the share which each of those borrowers is bound to contribute.
5. Repeal and savings : — (1) The following enactments are hereby repealed : —
(a) the Agriculturists’ Loans Act, 1884;
(b) the Agriculturists’ Loans (
(c) the Agriculturists’ Loans (
(d) the Agriculturists’ Loans (
(2) All rules, appointments and orders made, authorities and powers conferred, liabilities incurred, times and places appointed and other things done under any of the repealed enactments mentioned in sub-section (1) shall, so far as may, be deemed to have been respectively made, conferred, incurred, appointed and done under this Act and all arrears of advances and interest shall be recoverable under this Act.