ACT NO. XIII OF 2013
ANTI-TERRORISM (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2013
An Act further to amend the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 19th March, 2013]
No. F. 9(5)/2013-Legis.–The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on 18th March, 2013, is hereby published for general information:–
WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend thee Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997 (XXVII of 1997) for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title extent and commencement.–(1)This Act may be called the Anti-Terrorism (Amendment) Act, 2013.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment of Section 2, Act XXVII of 1997.–In the AntiTerrorism Act, 1997 (XXVII of 1997) hereinafter referred to as, the said Act, in Section 2,–
(a) after Clause (o), the following new Clause shall be inserted, namely:-
"(oa) "money'' includes coins or notes in any currency, postal orders, money orders, bank credits, bank accounts, letter of credit, travelers cheques, bank cheques, bankers draft, in any form, electronic, digital or otherwise and such other kinds of monetary instruments or documents as the Federal Government may by order specify;";
(b) in Clause (p); the words "acting under a distinctive name" shall be omitted;
(c) after Clause (p), amended as aforesaid, the following new Clause shall be inserted, namely:–
"(pa) "property" means property of every description, whether corporeal or incorporeal, movable or immovable, tangible or intangible and includes share, securities, bonds and deeds and instruments evidencing title to or an interest in, property of any kind and money:"; and
(d) in Clause (aa),–
(i) in Paragraph (i), in sub-Paragraph (a), for the words "a prescribed organization" the words "an organization concerned in terrorism or a terrorist” shall be substituted;
(ii) in Paragraph (ii),–
(a) in sub-Paragraph (a), after semicolon the word "and'' shall be added;
(b) in sub-Paragraph (b) for commas, words and semicolon the phrase and includes assets of any kind, whether tangible or intangible movable or immovable, and legal documents or instruments in any form whether written, electronic or digital, and shares, securities, bonds, drafts and letters of credit; and” a semicolon shall be substituted; and
(c) sub-Paragraph (c) shall be omitted.
3. Amendment of Section 6, Act XXVII of 1,997.–In the said Act in Section 6,–
(a) in sub-section (1) in Clause (b), after the word "sect" the words ''or a foreign Government or population or an international organization” shall be inserted;
(b) after sub-section (3), the following new sub-section shall be inserted, namely:–
"(3A) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), an action in violation of a convention specified in the Fifth Schedule shall be an act of terrorism under this Act;"; and
(c) in sub-section (7), in Clauses (a) and (b), for the words "a person" the words "an individual'' shall be substituted and after the word "preparation" the words and commas, ''facilitation funding" shall be inserted.
4. Amendment of Section 11A, Act XXVII of 1997.–In the said Act, in Section 11-A,–
(a) the existing provision shall be numbered as sub-section (1) thereof; and
(b) in sub-section (1), numbered as aforesaid, in Clause (a), after the word "commits'' the comma and word "facilitates'' shall be inserted; and
(c) after sub-section (1), numbered and amended as aforesaid, the following new sub-section shall be added, namely:-
"(2) An organization shall fall within the meaning of sub-section (1) if it–
(a) is owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by a terrorist or an organization referred in sub-section (1); or
(b) acts on behalf of, or at the direction of, a terrorist or an organization referred in sub-section (1).".
5. Amendment of Section 11E, Act XXVII of 1997.–In the said Act, in Section 11-E, in sub-section (1), for Clause (b), the following shall be substituted, namely:-
"(b) its money or other property, if any, shall be frozen or seized.".
6. Amendment of Section 11-F, Act XXVII of 1997.–In the said Act, in Section 11-F, in sub-section (5), for the word "funds" the words, ''money or other property" shall be substituted.
7. Amendment of Section 11H, Act XXVII of 1997.–In the said Act in Section 11-H, after the word "terrorism", wherever occurring, the words “or by a terrorist or organization concerned in terrorism" shall be inserted .
8. Amendment of Section 110, Act XXVII of 1997.—In the said Act, for Section 110 the following shall be substituted, namely:–
"110. Seizure, freeze and detention.–(1) The Federal Government or a Provincial Government may, from time to time, designate an officer of the Government, by notification in the official Gazette, or direct any other person to freeze seize or detain any money or other property for a period of fifteen days. if there are reasonable grounds to believe that–