ACT NO. XII OF 2012
DELIMITATION OF CONSTITUENCIES (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2012
An Act further to amend the Delimitation of Constituencies
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 8th May, 2012]
Passed by the National Assembly on the 8th October, 2009 and
by the Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) in its Joint Sitting on the
30th March, 2012 in terms of clause (3) of Article 70 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend the Delimitation of Constituencies Act, 1974 (XXXIV of 1974), for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:—
1. Short title and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the Delimitation of Constituencies (Amendment) Act, 2012.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment of Section 4, Act XXXIV of 1974.—(1) In the Delimitation of Constituencies Act, 1974 (XXXIV of 1974), hereinafter referred to as the said Act, in Section 4, in sub-section (3),—
(a) for the words "other two members" the words "majority of the members of the Commission" shall be substituted.
(b) for the proviso, the following shall be substituted, namely:
(a) where the members attending the proceedings of the Commission are four and they are equally divided in their opinion; or
(b) where the members attending the proceedings of the Commission are three and there is difference of opinion amongst them;
the matter shall be placed before the Commission for decision.".
3. Substitution of Section 5, Act XXXIV of 1974.—In the said Act, in Section 5, the following shall be substituted, namely:
"5. Delegation of powers, etc.—(1) The Commission may authorize three or more of its members, acting together, to exercise and perform all or any of its powers and functions under this Act.
(2) Where four members are authorized under sub-section (1) the decision of majority shall prevail and where three members are authorized as aforesaid the decision shall be unanimous: