ACT NO. XIX OF 2013
NATIONAL COUNTER TERRORISM AUTHORITY ACT, 2013
An Act to establish National Counter Terrorism Authority in Pakistan
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 26th March, 2013]
No. F. 9(12)/2013-Legis.–The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on 22tnd March, 2013, is hereby published for general information:–
WHEREAS, the menace of terrorism and extremism is becoming an existential threat to the state and needs to be responded to and addressed comprehensively;
AND WHEREAS, in order to eliminate this me, a focal institution to unify state response by planning, combining, co-ordinating and implementing Government's policy through an exhaustive strategic planning and necessary ancillary mechanism is needed;
It is hereby enacted as follows:
1. Short title, extent and commencement.–(1) This Act may be called the National Counter Terrorism Authority Act, 2013.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.–In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,–
(a) "Authority" means the National Counter Terrorism Authority Pakistan established under Section 3;
(b) "Board" means the Board of Governors constituted under sections;
(c) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Board of Governors;
(d) "Executive Committee means a Committee constituted under Section 8;
(e) "National Coordinator" means the National Coordinator of the Authority;
(f) "Deputy National Coordinator" means the Deputy National Coordinator of the Authority;
(g) "rules" means rules made under the Act;
(h) "regulations" means regulations made under this Act; and
(i) "prescribed” means prescribed by rules or, as the case may be, regulations.
3. Establishment of the Authority.–(1) As soon as may be, but not later than ninety days after the promulgation of this Act, the Federal Government shall, by notification in the official gazette, establish an Authority to be known as the National Counter Terrorism Authority Pakistan for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
(2) The Authority shall be an independent body answerable directly to the Prime Minister.
(3) The Authority shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with powers, subject to the provision of this Act, to acquire and hold property, movable and immovable, and to sue and be sued by its name. The Authority shall have administrative and financial powers to carry out the functions of the Authority.
(4) The headquarters of the Authority shall be at Islamabad and it may set up offices at such other places in Pakistan.
4. Functions of the Authority.–The Authority shall have the following functions, namely–
(a) to receive and collate data or information or intelligence, and disseminate and co-ordinate between all relevant stakeholders to formulate threat assessments with periodical reviews to be presented to the Federal Government for making adequate and timely efforts to counter terrorism and extremism;
(b) to co-ordinate and prepare comprehensive National counter terrorism and counter extremism strategies, and review them on periodical basis;
(c) to develop action plans against terrorism and extremism and report to the Federal Government about implementation of these plans, on periodical basis;
(d) to carry out research on topics relevant to terrorism and extremism and to prepare and circulate documents;
(e) to carry out liaison with international entities for facilitating cooperation in areas relating to terrorism and extremism;
(f) to review relevant laws and suggest amendments to the Federal Government; and
(g) to appoint committees of experts from Government and nonGovernment organizations for deliberations in areas related to the mandate and functions of the Authority.
5. Board of Governors.–(1) The Authority shall have a Board of Governors comprising:–
(a) Prime Minister
(b) Minister for Interior
(c) Chief Ministers of Provinces
(d) Chief Minister of Gilgit Baltistan
(e) Minister for Law and Justice
(f) Minister for Finance
(g) Minister for Defence
(h) Prime Minister of Azad Jammu and Kashmir
(i) One Senator (to be recommended by Chairman Senate)
(j) One MNA (to be recommended by Speaker National Assembly)
(k) Secretary, Ministry of Interior
(l) DG Inter Services Intelligence
(m) DG Intelligence Bureau
(n) DG Military Intelligence
(o) National Coordinator
(p) Chief Secretaries of the Provinces, Gilgit Baltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir
(q) DG Federal Investigation Agency
(r) Inspector General of Police of Provinces, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan
(2) The National Coordinator shall act as the Secretary to the Board.
(3) The Board may invite any person to the meeting on special invitation.
6. Procedure of the meeting of the Board.–(1) The Prime Minister Azad Jammu had Kashmir or the Chief Ministers shall attend the meeting themselves, however, it case of un-avoidable circumstances, may nominate a member of their cabinet to attend the meeting of the Board to represent them.
(2) The Federal Ministers shall attend the meeting themselves, however, in case of un-avoidable circumstances, the Secretary of their Ministry shall attend the meeting.
(3) The quorum to hold a meeting shall be fifty per cent of the total membership:
Provided that notwithstanding anything contained in sub-Clause (6), the presence of heads of various intelligence agencies who are members of the Board shall be mandatory in every meeting of the Board while taking decision on any policy matter.
(4) The Board may meet as and when required but it shall meet at least once in each quarter of a year.
(5) No act or proceedings of the Board shall be invalid by reasons only of the existence of a vacancy in, or defect in the constitution of the Board.
7. Powers and functions of the Board.–(1) The powers and functions of the Board shall include, but would not be limited to, the following namely:
(a) the Board shall exercise all the powers and functions of the Authority;
(b) to provide strategic vision and oversee activities of the Authority;
(c) to recommend rules and approve policies and manuals in order to carry out the purposes of this Act; and
(d) to approve the annual budget prepared by the Authority.
8. Executive Committee.–(1) The Board shall be assisted by an Executive Committee comprising of the following, namely:-