PUBLICATION OF LAWS OF PAKISTAN
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-II, 7th April, 2015]
S. R. O. 277 (I)/2015.–In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 25 of the Publication of Laws of Pakistan (Regulation) Ordinance, 2015, the Federal Government is pleased to make the following rules, namely:–
1. Short title and commencement.–(1) These rules may be called the Publication of Laws of Pakistan Rules, 2015.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.–(1) In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,–
(a) “Cell” means the laws of Pakistan Cell established under Section 6 of the Ordinance;
(b) “Director” means the Director of the Cell;
(c) “Ordinance” means the Publication of Laws of Pakistan (Regulation) Ordinance, 2015;
(d) “publisher” means a person who is publishing or who intends to publish any law of Pakistan in the form of a book, booklet, pamphlet, journal, or in any electronic form, and also includes a person who is involved in the publication of laws of Pakistan along with any other business; and
(e) “reviewer” means a person who reviews a law of Pakistan under the Ordinance and these rules.
(2) All other words used but not defined herein shall have the same meanings as are assigned to them under the Ordinance.
3. Registration of publishers.–(1) All the publishers who are involved in the publication of laws of Pakistan shall, within ninety days of the commencement of the Ordinance and in accordance with the procedure laid down in these rules, get themselves registered with the Cell.
(2) Subject to sub-rule (1), an application containing all the particulars as specified in Form 'B' shall be submitted to the Cell.
4. Registration fee.–(1) Any publisher seeking registration with the Cell shall pay one time registration fee of one hundred thousand rupees to the Cell and thereafter an annual fee of twenty thousand rupees within thirty days of the expiry of first year of his registration.
Explanation.–The one time registration fee of one hundred thousand rupees shall include the annual fee for the first year.
(2) The registration fee, annual fee, review fee and the amount received by way of fine imposed by the Cell or any other amount received by the Cell under the Ordinance and these rules, shall be deposited in a separate account maintained for this purpose in the accounts office of the Cell thus forming part of Federal treasury.
5. Undertaking for registration.–Any publisher who applies for registration shall submit an undertaking to the Cell to the effect that the publisher shall,–
(a) publish the laws of Pakistan on a paper the impression on one side of which is not visible from the other side and if newsprint is used, it should not be of less than 52 grammage;
(b) before submission to the Cell, get his specimen copy of the proposed publication of a law of Pakistan compared with the text of the official publication of laws of Pakistan as published in the official Gazette, by a person holding a law degree from a recognized university or a person trained in the job of proof reading of legal publications, and have a statement recorded in writing by such a person that the contents of the laws of Pakistan reproduced in the publication are accurate;
(c) ensure that the cover page of every edition or publication of a law of Pakistan clearly bears the name and registration number of the publisher, the batch number of the publication, the name of the printer or database operator, and the day, month and year till which it has been updated;
(d) write his name and registration number along with the date of publication, on each page of his publication;
(e) publish the laws of Pakistan after obtaining the certificate of accuracy from the Cell;
(f) print the certificate of accuracy at a conspicuous place in the publication to which it relates;
(g) evolve a mechanism to ascertain the identity and address of his customers, subscribers and book-sellers, who purchase the publications from him, in order to ensure recalling of any published material which is published in contravention of the Ordinance and these rules; and
(h) in case the publisher is a corporation, provide a copy of the Articles and Memorandum of Association to the Cell along with the names of Directors, Managers and other office bearers of that corporation.
6. Registration number.–On fulfilling the requirements under Rules 4 and 5, a publisher shall stand registered and upon registration, the Cell shall allot a distinct registration number to that publisher.
7. Grounds for de-registration.–(1) A publisher may be de-registered by the Cell on violation of any of the provisions of undertaking enumerated under Rule 5, or in default of any amount of fee or fine under Rule 4, or not fulfilling the requirements under sub-rule (7) of Rule 9 or Rule 10.