Affiliation of Law Colleges Rules
Name & Commencement
Class rooms etc
Canteen & firs aid facilities
Qualification of Principal of Private Law College
Whole time Teachers
Qualification of Part – time teachers
Number of Lectures
Days of Classes
Number of Books in Library
Subscription of Law Journals
Qualification of Librarian
Seating in classroom
Number of Students in a classroom
Timing of Classes
Admission percentage of students to evening classes
Period of affiliation
De-affiliation and forfeiture of security
Nominee on Governing Body
Standard of legal education
Affiliation of Law Colleges Rules
Whereas the rules of different Universities in the country imparting legal education regarding affiliation of private and government law colleges, presently in vogue, are not uniform and instead vary from each other;
And whereas the mushroom growth of private law colleges is causing deterioration of the standard of legal education;
And whereas it is imperative to have strict control and check on the law colleges for improving the standard and quality of the legal education.
And whereas it is expedient to create uniformity in Rules of affiliation of all the Universities imparting Legal education.
Therefore, the Pakistan Bar Council hereby propose the following Rules for adoption by all the Universities of Pakistan imparting legal education:
1. Name & Commencement:
(1) These rules may be called the “Affiliation of Law Colleges Rules”.
(2) They shall come into force at once and will also be applicable to all law colleges affiliated or to be affiliated.
(a) “Act” means the Legal Practitioners & Bar Councils Act, 1973.
(b) “Council” means the Pakistan Bar Council.
(c) “Rules” means the Pakistan Bar Council Legal Education Rules, 1978.
(d) “College” means the Law College affiliated with a University.
(e) “University” means the University, having the Faculty of Law, established under a statute and recognized by the Pakistan Bar Council.
3. Ownership: The ownership of the College with all its assets shall vest in a body corporate and not in any individual. No change in ownership of the body corporate will be permissible after affiliation without prior approval of the University.
4. Security: The applicant shall prior to enrolling and admitting students shall deposit a sum of Rs. One Million with the concerned University as security. This amount shall be invested by the University in the Bonds and Securities and the profit earned thereon shall be equally divisible amongst University and the applicant.
Provided that the applicant shall not be entitled to withdraw any amount out of its profit and the same shall be added to the security amount of the applicant.
Provided further that the security amount shall be raised by 5% annually for the new applicants after the adoption of these rules.
Provided also that the security shall be refundable to the owner on the closure of the college with the approval of the University after deduction of the dues of the University, if any.
5. Building: The College shall be located in a spacious, separate and independent building on a plot of at least 2000 sq. Yards, without any other institution or person sharing the premises.
6. Class rooms etc. The College shall have at least three class rooms with one having seating capacity of 150 or more students, a common room, a ladies room and a separate staff room.
7. Canteen & firs aid facilities: The college shall have adequate canteen, toilets and first aid facilities.