THE ALLOPATHIC SYSTEM (PREVENTION OF MISUSE) ORDINANCE, 1962
ORDINANCE NO. LXV OF 1962
[7th June, 1962]
An Ordinance to prevent the misuse of the allopathic system of medicine and to provide for matters connected therewith.
WHEREAS it is expedient to prevent the misuse of the allopathic system of medicine and to provide for matters connected therewith ;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamation of the seventh day of October, 1958, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement.-(1) This Ordinance may be called the Allopathic System (Prevention of Misuse) Ordinance, 1962.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definition. In this Ordinance, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context, "registered medical practitioner" means a person registered under the 1[Medical and Dental Council Ordinance, 1962 (XXXII of 1962)].
3. Prohibition of the use of the word "doctor" and its variations, etc. No person practising the allopathic, homoeopathic, ayurvedic, unani or any other system of medicine shall use with his name or address or with the name or address of his business the word "doctor" or any of its grammatical variations, cognate expressions or abbreviations so as to give out that he is entitled to practise medicine unless he is a registered medical practitioner;
Provided that nothing in this section shall apply to a person on whom a Doctor's degree other than medical degree has been conferred by any university in or outside Pakistan.
4. Prohibition of the use of medical degrees or diplomas. No person shall use a medical degree or a medical diploma to give out that he is a qualified medical practitioner or for any purpose connected with medical practice, unless such degree or diploma has been conferred or awarded by a university or institution in or outside Pakistan recognized under the 1[Medical and Dental Council Ordinance, 1962 (XXXII of 1962)].
1Subs. by the Federal Laws (Revision and Declaration) Ordinance, 1981 (27 of 1981), s. 3 and Sch. II, for “Medical Council's Ordinance, 1962”.