THE ASSOCIATED PRESS OF PAKISTAN (TAKING OVER) ORDINANCE, 1961
ORDINANCE NO. XX OF 1961
[15th June, 1961]
An Ordinance to enable the Central Government to take over the Associated Press of Pakistan Limited.
Preamble. WHEREAS, due to an administrative and financial breakdown, the undertaking known as the “Associated Press of Pakistan” is no longer able to function ;
AND WHEREAS in the public interest it is expedient that the Central Government should take over the undertaking to ensure free and efficient flow of news to the people and to place the undertaking on a stable footing;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamation of the seventh day of October, 1958, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance :__
1. Short title and commencement.__(1) This Ordinance may be called the Associated Press of Pakistan (Taking Over) Ordinance, 1961.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definition. In this Ordinance “Associated Press” means the company registered on the 28th day of May, 1960, under the Companies Act, 1913 (VII of 1913), under the name of the Associated Press of Pakistan Limited.
3. Power to take over Associated Press. (1) The 1[Federal Government] may, notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, or in any trust or wakf, or in any deed or other instrument, by notification in the official Gazette, take over the entire undertaking of the Associated Press on such date as may be specified in the notification.
(2) On the date specified in the notification under sub-section (1),__
(a) the Associated Press shall stand dissolved for the purposes of the Companies Act, 1913 (VII of 1913) ;
(b) all assets, rights, powers, authorities and privileges, all property, movable and immovable, cash and bank balances, reserve funds, investments and all other interests and rights in, or arising out of, such property, of the Associated Press, shall stand transferred to, and vest in, the 1[Federal Government];
1Subs. by F.A.O., 1975,Art. 2 and Table, for “Central Government”.
(c) all debts and liabilities incurred, all obligations undertaken, all contracts entered into, and all agreements made by or with the Associated Press, shall stand transferred to, and be deemed to have been incurred, undertaken, entered into or made, by or with, the 1[Federal Government] ;
(d) any sum payable to, or recoverable by, the Associated Press shall be deemed to be payable to, or recoverable by, the 1[Federal Government];
(e) the members of the Associated Press shall be liable to contribute to the assets thereof for payment of its debts and liabilities to the extent to which they would have been liable had the Associated Press been wound up under the Companies Act, 1913 (VII of 1913);
(f) all suits and other legal proceedings instituted by or against the Associated Press before the said date shall be deemed to have been instituted by or against the 1[Federal Government] and may be continued or proceeded with accordingly;
(g) any reference to the Associated Press in any law other than this Ordinance, or in any rule, regulation, order or notification or in any contract, deed or other document shall, except where the context otherwise requires or the 1[Federal Government] otherwise directs, be construed as reference to the 1[Federal Government].