The Agha Khan University Examination Board Ordinance, 2002
ORDINANCE CXIV OF 2002
An Ordinance to establish the Agha Khan University Examination Board
[Gazette of Pakistan Extraordinary, Part I, 8th November, 2002]
F. No. 2(I)/2002-Pub.–dated 8-11-2002.-The following Ordinance promulgated by the President is hereby published for general information:—
Whereas it is desirable and expedient in the national interest to aspire to standards of excellence in the field of education and in persons of such objective to draw-upon all available resources;
And whereas the Government of Pakistan considers it important to offer the people of Pakistan more educational options and to improve the school examination system;
And whereas the Agha Khan University is committed to the improvement of education in Pakistan and aboard and in pursuance thereof has established a Medical College, School of Nursing and an institute for educational development in Pakistan, an institute for study of Muslim civilization in the UK, and is in the process of establishing a faculty of Arts and Sciences in Karachi as well as medical, nursing and education programmes in East Africa; Afghanistan, Syria and Central Asia and thus possesses the requisite inside, expertise and experience in the provision of education including all administrative matters connected therewith;
And whereas the Agha Khan University has agreed to assist the Government in this endeavor in the greater national interest and in furtherance of the public-private partnership;
And whereas pursuant to the Agha Khan University Order, 1983 (President's Order No. 3 of 1983), the Agha Khan University is authorised to establish an Examination Board;
And whereas the President of Pakistan is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
Now therefore, in pursuance of the proclamation of emergency of the Fourteenth day of October. 1999. and Provisional Constitution Order No. 1 of 1999, read with the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No. 9 of 1999, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:—
1. Short title, extent and commencement.– (1) This Ordinance may be called the Agha Khan University Examination Board Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.–(1) If there is, anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(a) "Board of Trustees" means the Board to Trustees of the University;
(b) "Certificate" means certificate or diploma or other appropriate credential awarded to candidates who are successful in the examinations;
(c) "Certification" means the awarding of certificates or diplomas or other appropriate credentials to candidates who are successful in the examinations;
(d) "Examinations" means the examinations, tests and related means of assessment of educational achievements developed and administrated by the Examination Board;
(e) "Examination Board" means the Agha Khan University Examination Board;
(f) "Prescribed" means prescribed by the Rules and Regulations, under section 10; and
(g) "University" means the Agha Khan University established under the Agha Khan University Order, 1983 (President's Order No. 3 of 1983).
(2) The expressions used but not defined in this Ordinance shall have the same meaning as assigned to them under the Agha Khan University Order, 1983 (President's Order No. 3 of 1983).
3. Establishment of the Examination Board.– (1) The Agha Khan University Examination Board shall be established by the University from such date and in such manner, as the University shall, in its sole discretion, prescribe.
(2) The Examination Board shall be fully autonomous a self *regulatory with the freedom to achieve the objectives for which it is established.