(ii) forfeiture of approved service up to two years;
(iii) withholding of promotion up to one year;
(iv) stoppage of increment for a period not exceeding three years without cumulative effect;
(v) fine to any amount not exceeding one month’s pay;
(vi) confinement to quarters for a term not exceeding fifteen days, with or without punishment, drill, extra guard, fatigue other duty; and
(vii) extra drill not exceeding fifteen days, fatigue or other duties;
(b) Major Punishments
(i) Reduction in rank;
(ii) compulsory retirement;
(iii) removal from service; and
(iv) dismissal from service
(2) Removal from service does not, but dismissal from service does disqualify for future employment.
(3) In this section removal or dismissal from service does not include the discharge of person‑‑‑
(a) appointed on probation, during the period of probation or in accordance with probation or training rules applicable to him; or
(b) appointed, otherwise than under a contract, to hold a temporary appointment on the expiration of the period of appointment; or
(c) engaged under a contract, in accordance with the terms of the contract;
- Grounds of punishment.‑‑Where, a member’, in the opinion of the Authority‑‑
(a) is inefficient or has ceased to be efficient; or
(b) is guilty of misconduct; or
(c) is corrupt or may reasonably be considered corrupt because‑‑
(i) he is, or any of his dependents or any other person claiming through him, or on his behalf is, in possession (for which he cannot reasonably account) of pecuniary resources or any property disproportionate to his known sources of income; or
(ii) he has assumed a style of living beyond his ostensible means; or
(iii) he has a reputation of being corrupt; or
(d) he is engaged or is reasonably suspected of being engaged in subversive or narcotics activities, or is reasonably suspected of being associated with those engaged in subversive or narcotics activities or is guilty of disclosure of official secrets to any unauthorised person, and his retention in service is, therefore, prejudicial to national security and interest of State,
The, authority may impose on him one or more punishments specified in, subsection (1) of section 8.
- Authority to award punishment. The authorities to award punishment under section 8 are specified in the Schedule to this Act.
- Terms of Service
(1) All personnel’s up to the rank of Inspector and their equivalent in the ministerial staff of the Force may elect to be governed by the existing terms of service applicable to them and such option shall be sent to the Director‑General, of the Force within such period as may be decided by the Director‑General failing which they shall be deemed to have opted to serve under this Act.
(2) The personnel’s not opting to serve in accordance with the terms of this Ordinance may, at the discretion of the Director‑General be placed at the disposal of Federal Government for adjustment elsewhere.
- Conduct and Discipline.
(1) The :police Act, 1861 (V of 1861), the Police Rules, 1934, and the Punjab Police (Efficiency and Discipline) Rules, 1975, shall, mutatis mutandis, be applicable to all members up to the rank of an Inspector if not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or where operation of any provision thereof is excluded by the Director‑General by a specific order made in this behalf.
(2) Subject to subsection (1), all members of the Force, including the ministerial staff except those on deputation from the armed forces, shall be governed by the Civil Servants Act, 1973 (LXXI of 1973), and rules made thereunder.
- Members to serve anywhere. Every member of the Force shall be deemed to be always on duty and be liable to serve anywhere within or without Pakistan.
- Members as public prosecutors. Notwithstanding anything contained in the‑ Code, all Directors, Deputy Directors and Assistant Directors of the Force, shall be ex officio public prosecutors in respect of all offences relating to narcotic and specified in clause (a) of section 5, for trial before the Special Court or any other Court when so directed by the Director‑General and may conduct the proceedings in the said Court and deal with any matter connected therewith or ancillary thereto.
- Delegation of powers. The Director‑General may, by order in writing direct that all or any of his powers under this Act or the rules shall, subject to such conditions, if any, as may be specified in the order, be exercisable by any member of the Force.
- Indemnity. No suit, prosecution, or other proceedings shall lie against the Federal Government, Provincial Government, Director‑General or any member of the Force or any other person exercising any power or performing any function under this Act or the rules made thereunder for anything which is done in good faith or intended to be done under this Act or the rules.
- Power to make rules.
(1) The Federal Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power such rules may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:‑‑
(a) the terms and conditions of service of the Director‑General and other members of the Force and the qualifications for recruitment to various posts; ,
(b) the powers and functions of the members of the Force in relation to the conduct of inquiries and investigations; and
(c) the manner in which rewards may be given to the members of the Force or to the public for rendering commendable service.
Authorities to Award Punishment
|S.No. Punishment||Inspector or equivalent grade||Sub-Inspector/Assistant Sub- Inspector or equivalent or a grade between ASI/Head- Constable||Head Constable or equivalent grade or a grade between Head Constable and Constable||Constable or equivalent or lower grade.|
|1. Extra Drill not exceeding 15 days Fatigue or other duties.||—||—||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|2. Confinement to quarters upto 15 days.||—||—||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|3. Censure.||Director||Director||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|4. Forfeiture of approved Director service upto 2 years.||–||Director||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|5. Stoppage of increments not 3 years.||Director||Director||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|6. Fine to any amount not exceeding one month’s pay.||Director||Director||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|7. Withholding of promotion for one year or less.||Director||Director||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|8. Reduction from substantive rand to a lower rank reduction in pay.||Direction||Director||Dy. Director||Asstt. Director|
|9. Dismissal form compulsory retirement.||Director General||Director General||Director||Director.|
Explanatory Note. – The Punishments as mentioned in the Punishment Table may also be inflicted on members of the various ranks shown in the heading Nos. 3 to 6 by an officer of higher rank.