ORDINANCE NO. IV OF 2013
ELECTORAL LAWS (AMENDMENT) ORDINANCE, 2013
An Ordinance further to amend the Representation of the People Act, 1976 and the Electoral Rolls Act, 1974
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 9th May, 2013]
No. F. 2(1)/2013-Pub.—The following Ordinance promulgated by the President is hereby published for general information:—
WHEREAS, it is expedient further to amend the Representation of the People Act, 1976 (LXXXVof 1976) and the Electoral Rolls Act, 1974 (XXI of 1974);
AND WHEREAS the Senate and the National Assembly are not in session and the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
Now, THEREFORE, in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1) of Article 89 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:—
1. Short title and commencement.—(1) This Ordinance may be called the Electoral Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013.
(2) It shall come into force at once but shall take effect on the date or dates to be notified by the Election Commission in the official Gazette in this behalf.
2. Insertion of New Chapter, Act LXXXV of 1976.—In the Representation of the People Act, 1976 (LXXXV of 1976), after Chapter V-A, the following new Chapter shall be inserted, namely:
OUT OF COUNTRY VOTING
47-B. Polling Station.—(1) The Commission, at least fourteen days before the day fixed for poll abroad, shall establish polling stations with as many polling booths as may be necessary in the premises of an Embassy, a Mission or a Consulate or any other public place notified by the Embassy, Mission or Consulate, in `the countries as may be determined by it:
Provided that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have obtained consent of such host country for establishment of the polling stations.
47-C. Appointment of Presiding Officers, etc.—The Commission from amongst the officers of the Federal Government or Autonomous Bodies under the Federal Government, preferably posted abroad, shall appoint as many Presiding Officers as the number of polling stations and as many Assistant Presiding Officers as the number of polling booths established in an Embassy, Mission, Consulate or public place notified for the purpose.
47-D. Registration of Pakistani citizens living abroad.—(1) A Pakistani who lives abroad and is in possession of National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis issued under the National Database and Registration Authority Ordinance, 2000 (VIII of 2000) may, not later than ten days before the day fixed for poll abroad, register himself as an elector in the Embassy, Mission or Consulate, as the case may be, where he intends to cast his vote;
(2) For the purpose of registration, a Pakistani living abroad may make an application through courier or in person, in
the format provided by the Commission on its website, to
the authorized officer who shall issue a receipt to the
elector containing the information of the constituency in
which he is registered in Pakistan if the applicant applies in person.
(3) The application through courier must be received at the Embassy or Mission at least ten days before polling day and the authorized officer shall send a receipt to the applicant at his address given in the application:
Provided that any Pakistani living abroad shall not be entitled to be registered as elector if he:
(i) is not registered as voter in any constituency in Pakistan;
(ii) is in possession of National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis issued to him for one country and he applies for registration from another country;