BEACONHOUSE NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, LAHORE ACT 2005
(Pb. Act VIII of 2005)
1. Short title and commencement.
3. Establishment of the University.
4. Functions and powers of the University.
5. University open to all.
8. Inspection and inquiry.
9. Vice Chancellor.
11. University fund.
12. Budget, audit and accounts.
13. Officers of the University.
14. Authorities of the University.
15. Board of Governors.
16. Powers and duties of the Board.
17. Business of the Board.
18. Delegation of powers.
19. Academic Council.
20. Powers and duties of Academic Council.
22. First Statutes.
24. Removal of difficulties.
BEACONHOUSE NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, LAHORE ACT 2005
(Pb. Act VIII of 2005)
2nd July 2005
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Beaconhouse National University, Lahore.
Preamble.– Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of the Beaconhouse National University, Lahore in the private sector and matters connected therewith and ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement.–
(1) This Act may be called the Beaconhouse National University, Lahore Act 2005.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.– In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context–
(a) “Academic Council” means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) “Authority” means any of the Authorities of the University specified in section 14;
(c) “Board” means the Board of Governors of the University constituted under section 15;
(d) “Chairperson of Department” means the Head of a teaching department;
(e) “Chancellor” means the Governor of the Punjab;
(f) “Dean” means the head of a Faculty;
(g) “Department” means a teaching department maintained and administered, or recognized by the University in the manner prescribed;
(h) “Faculty” means a faculty of the University;
(i) “Foundation” means the Beaconhouse National University Foundation;
(j) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
(k) “Higher Education Commission” means the Higher Education Commission set up by the Higher Education Commission Ordinance 2002;
(l) “prescribed” means prescribed by Statutes, Regulations or Rules made under this Act;
(m) “Registrar” means the Registrar of the University;
(n) “Schedule” means the Schedule to this Act;
(o) “Search Committee” means a Search Committee set up for making recommendations for appointment of Vice Chancellor;
(p) “Statutes”, “Regulations” and “Rules” mean respectively the Statutes, the Regulations and the Rules made or deemed to have been made under this Act;
(q) “Teachers” include Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and Lecturers engaged whole time by the University and such other persons as may be declared to be Teachers by Regulations;
(r) “University” means the Beaconhouse National University, Lahore constituted under this Act;
(s) “University Teacher” means a whole time teacher appointed and paid by the University, or recognized by the University as such; and
(t) “Vice Chancellor” means the Vice Chancellor of the University.
3. Establishment of the University.–
(1) There shall be established a University to be called the Beaconhouse National University, Lahore in the private sector with its campus located at Lahore.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall, by the said name, sue and be sued.
(3) The University shall consist of the following namely-
(a) the Chancellor, the Chairman and members of the Board of Governors and the Vice Chancellor;
(b) the members of the authorities of the University established under section 14;
(c) all University teachers, and persons recognized as students of the University in accordance with terms prescribed from time to time; and
(d) all other full time officers and members of the staff of the University.
4. Functions and powers of the University.– The functions and powers of the University shall be–
(a) to provide for instruction and training in the Faculties of–
(i) Architecture & Design, Education, Information & Computer Technologies, Liberal Arts, Media and Mass Communication, Visual Art, Social Sciences; and
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board may determine with the approval of the Chancellor given on the recommendation of a committee constituted by the Education Department, Government of the Punjab:
Provided that in case of medical and engineering education, approval of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Pakistan Engineering Council respectively shall be a pre-requisite;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations in a manner as may be determined by the Government and confer on or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote Faculties;
(e) to prescribe courses of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programs.
5. University open to all.─ The University shall be open to persons of either sex of whatever religion, race, creed, colour or domicile who are academically qualified for admission to the courses of study offered by the University; and no person shall be denied the privileges of the University on any of such grounds.
6. Jurisdiction.– (1) The jurisdiction of the University shall be restricted to the Province of the Punjab.
(2) The University shall not open any sub-campus or affiliate any other educational institution for a period of ten years from the commencement of this Act after which period it may have sub-campuses with the approval of the Chancellor.
7. Chancellor.– (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Chancellor of the University.
(2) The Chancellor or his nominee shall preside at the convocations of the University.
(3) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Chancellor.
(4) The Chancellor shall have the power to assent to the Statutes submitted to him by the Board or refer them back to the Board for reconsideration.
8. Inspection and inquiry.– (1) The Chancellor may cause an inspection or inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the University.
(2) The Chancellor shall communicate to the Board his views with regard to the result of the inspection or inquiry and shall, after ascertaining the views of the Board, advise the Board on the action to be taken by it.
(3) The Board shall, within such time as may be specified by the Chancellor, communicate to him such action as has been taken as a result of the inspection or inquiry.
(4) Where the Board does not, within the time specified, take action to the satisfaction of the Chancellor, the Chancellor may issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Board shall comply with all such directions.
(5) The Chancellor may, on the recommendation of a committee constituted by him and comprising a nominee of the Board, a Judge of the Lahore High Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said Court and a Professor Emeritus or Vice Chancellor, take appropriate action against the University by appointing an administrator who shall exercise the powers of the Board to run the affairs of the University till such time as may be specified:
Provided that no action shall be taken unless the Chairman of the Board is afforded an opportunity of being heard.
(6) The Government may make Rules to give effect to the provisions of sub-section (5).
(7) The Chancellor shall have the authority to annul any decision or action of the Board, which he thinks was taken against the interest of academic excellence, religious and cultural ideology and national integrity.
9. Vice Chancellor.– (1) The Vice Chancellor shall be an eminent scholar of national repute and shall be appointed by the Government on the recommendations of the Search Committee on such terms and conditions as may be determined on the recommendations of the Board.
(2) The Vice Chancellor shall perform such functions as are assigned to him by the Board.
10. Appointments.– The University may appoint such persons in its services as may be necessary on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
11. University fund.– There shall be a fund to be known as the Beaconhouse National University, Lahore Fund which shall vest in the University and to which shall be credited all sums received by the University.
12. Budget, audit and accounts.– The budget of the University shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained and audited in such manner as may be prescribed by the Board.
13. Officers of the University.– The following shall be the officers of the University:-
(a) the Chancellor;
(b) the Vice Chancellor;
(c) the Deans;
(d) the Chairperson of the teaching department;
(e) the Registrar;
(f) the Treasurer;
(g) the Controller of examinations; and
(h) such other Authorities as may be prescribed by the Statutes or Regulations to be the officers of the University.
14. Authorities of the University.– The following shall be the Authorities of the University:-
(a) the Board of Governors;
(b) the Academic Council;
(c) the Boards of Faculties;
(d) the Board of Advanced Studies and Research;
(e) the Selection Board;
(f) the Finance and Planning Committee; and
(g) such other Authorities as may be prescribed by the Statutes and the Regulations.
15. Board of Governors.– (1) The Board of Governors of the University shall consist of the following:-
(i) the Chairman of the Foundation;
(ii) Directors of the Foundation subject to a maximum of eight directors;
(iii) the Chairman, Higher Education Commission or his nominee not below the rank of a Director;
(iv) a Vice Chancellor of a public sector University in the Punjab nominated by the Chancellor;
(v) the Vice Chancellor; and
(vi) Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Education Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary.
(2) The Chairman of the Foundation shall be the Chairman of the Board.
(3) Members of the Board, other than ex-officio members, shall hold office for a term of three years. Members of the Board shall be eligible for re-appointment on the expiry of their term of office.
(4) The quorum for a meeting of the Board shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one; provided that at least two members shall be official members.
16. Powers and duties of the Board.– (1) The administration and management of the affairs of the University shall vest in the Board.
(2) The Board shall forward the draft of Statutes to the Chancellor for approval.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of the aforementioned powers, the Board may exercise powers and perform functions as follows:-
(a) to formulate or approve the principles, policies and plans governing the activities and operations of the University so as to facilitate research, teaching and other academic work;