(b) to make and, from time to time, revise Regulations for the efficient and effective operations of the University;
(c) to create a component of the University such as faculties, departments, institutes under its jurisdiction subject to sub para (ii) of para (a) of section 4;
(d) to constitute such standing committees, councils and other administrative or academic advisory bodies as it deems necessary, and review their work; and to create such academic or administrative posts as it may deem necessary and to approve appointments to such posts as it may specify;
(e) to hold, control and administer the property, funds and resources of the University and raise funds for the purpose of the University upon such security as may be required under Regulations;
(f) to undertake the responsibility for the financial viability of the University including responsibility for ensuring effectiveness of its operations, their continuity and preservation of the autonomy of the University;
(g) to consider and pass through a resolution the annual report, plan of work, statement of accounts and the annual budget estimates;
(h) to call for and consider reports relating to the activities of the University and to direct the Vice Chancellor to furnish information relating to any matter specified by the Board; and
(i) to take all such initiatives as it may consider necessary or desirable for the efficient and effective management and functioning of the University.
17. Business of the Board.– (1) The meetings and business of the Board shall be conducted in such manner and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed in the Regulations and until these matters are prescribed, as may be determined by the Board.
(2) No Statute, Regulation or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Board.
18. Delegation of powers.– The Board may delegate to any person or a committee any of its powers, duties or functions.
19. Academic Council.– (1) There shall be an Academic Council of the University which shall consist of–
(i) the Vice Chancellor (Chairman);
(ii) all the Deans;
(iii) all the Heads of the Departments/Institutes;
(iv) all Professors and Associate Professors of the University;
(v) nominee of the Secretary Education, Government of the Punjab not below the rank of Deputy Secretary;
(vi) two Associate Professors, two Assistant Professors and two Lecturers to be nominated by the Board;
(vii) three persons eminent in the fields of arts and sciences, of whom at least one shall be from each category, to be nominated by the Board;
(viii) Director Academic, Higher Education Commission; and
(ix) the Registrar (Member/Secretary).
(2) Members appointed by nomination shall hold office for three years.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Academic Council shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
20. Powers and duties of Academic Council.– (1) The Academic Council shall be the academic body of the University and shall, by the Statutes, have the powers to lay down proper standards of instruction, research, publication and examination and to regulate and promote the academic life of the University.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing powers and subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, the Academic Council shall have the powers to–
(a) advise the Board on academic matters;
(b) regulate the conduct of teaching, research and publication;
(c) regulate the admission of students to the courses of studies and examinations in the University;
(d) regulate the conduct and discipline of the students of the University;
(e) propose to the Board, scheme for the constitution and organization of Faculties and teaching departments;
(f) consider or formulate proposals for the planning and development of teaching and research in the University;
(g) make Regulations prescribing the courses of studies, the syllabi and the outlines of tests for all University examinations subject to the approval of the Board;
(h) regulate the award of studentships, scholarships, exhibitions, medals and prizes;
(i) frame Regulations for submission to the Board;
(j) appoint or nominate members to various Authorities in accordance with the provisions of this Act; and
(k) perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
21. Statutes.– Subject to the provisions of sub-section (4) of section 7 and section 23 and approval of the Chancellor, Statutes may be made by the Board to provide for and to regulate any matter relevant to the University.
22. First Statutes.– Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act, the Statutes set out in the Schedule appended to this Act shall be deemed to be the Statutes framed under section 21 of this Act and shall continue to remain in force until amended or repealed.
23. Regulations.– The Board may, by notification, make Regulations for the administration and management of the affairs of the University.
24. Removal of difficulties.– If any difficulty arises in giving effect to any of the provisions of this Act, the Board may, with the approval of the Government, give such directions, not inconsistent with the said provisions, as it may consider necessary for the removal of such difficulty.
25. Validation.– All actions taken, obligation and liability incurred, rights and assets acquired, persons appointed or authorized, endowments, bequests, funds created, donation or grant received by the Foundation for the establishment of University after the issuance of no objection certificate by the Education Department, Government of the Punjab, shall be deemed to have been taken, incurred, acquired, appointed or authorized, created or received under this Act.
(See section 22)
THE FIRST STATUTES OF
THE Beaconhouse National University, Lahore
1. Faculties.– There shall be a Faculty for a teaching department or a group of teaching departments. The University shall include the following Faculties and such other Faculties as may be established pursuant to this Act:-
(a) Faculty of Architecture & Design;
(b) Faculty of Education;
(c) Faculty of Information & Computer Technology;
(d) Faculty of Liberal Arts;
(e) Faculty of Media and Mass Communication;
(f) Faculty of Visual Arts; and
(g) Faculty of Social Sciences.
2. Board of Faculty.– (1) There shall be a Board of each Faculty which shall consist of–
(a) the Dean of the Faculty;
(b) the Professors and the heads of the teaching departments in the Faculty;
(c) one member, other than Professors and head of each teaching department, to be nominated by the Head of Department;
(d) two teachers to be nominated by the Academic Council by reason of their specialized knowledge of the subjects which, though not assigned to the Faculty, have in the opinion of the Academic Council, important bearing on the subjects assigned to the Faculty;
(e) two experts in the field from outside the University to be appointed by the Board of Governors; and
(f) one member to be nominated by the Vice Chancellor.
(2) The members, other than ex-officio members, shall hold office for a period of three years.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Board of a Faculty shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
(4) The Board of each Faculty shall, subject to the general control of the Academic Council and the Board, have the powers to-
(i) co-ordinate the teaching and research work in the subjects assigned to the Faculty;
(ii) scrutinize the recommendations of the Boards of Studies comprising the Faculty with regard to the appointment of paper-setters and examiners for Graduate and Postgraduate examinations and to forward the panels of suitable paper-setters and examiners for each examination to the Vice Chancellor;
(iii) consider any other academic matter relating to the Faculty and to submit its report to the Academic Council;
(iv) prepare a comprehensive annual report regarding the performance of each department comprising the Faculty for presentation to the Academic Council; and
(v) perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(5) There shall be a Dean of each Faculty who shall be the Chairman and Convener of the Board of Faculty.
(6) The Dean shall be appointed by the Board from amongst the three senior most professors of the Faculty on the recommendation of the Vice Chancellor and shall hold office for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
(7) The Dean shall present candidates for admission to degree, except honorary degrees, courses falling within the purview of the Faculty.
(8) The Dean shall have such powers and duties as may be prescribed by the Board on the recommendations of the Vice Chancellor.
3. Academic Departments and Heads of the Departments.– (1) There shall be an Academic Department for each subject or a group of subjects, as may be prescribed by the Regulations and each Academic Department shall be headed by a Head of Department.
(2) The Head of an Academic Department shall be appointed by the Board on the recommendations of the Vice Chancellor from amongst three senior most Professors other than a Professor already working as Dean for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment; provided that in a department where there are less than three eligible Professors, the appointment shall be made from amongst the three senior most Professors and Associate Professors of the Department.
(3) The Head of the Department shall plan, organize and supervise the work of the department and shall be responsible to the Dean for the work of his department.
(4) The Head of the Department shall, under the general supervision of the Vice Chancellor and the Dean, exercise all administrative, financial and academic powers and such other duties or powers as may be delegated to him.
(5) The heads of the departments shall prepare a comprehensive annual report regarding the performance of department at the Graduate and Postgraduate levels, Faculty research and development and submit this report to the Dean of the Faculty for his evaluation.
4. Board of Advanced Studies and Research.– (1) The Board of Advanced Studies and Research shall consist of–
(a) the Vice Chancellor (Chairman);
(b) all the Deans;
(c) one University Professor from each Faculty other than Dean to be appointed by the Board;
(d) one member to be nominated by the Vice Chancellor;
(e) three members from the relevant field, research organizations and Government Departments, to be nominated by the Board; and
(f) the Registrar (Secretary).
(2) The term of office of the members of the Board of Advanced Studies and Research, other than ex-officio members, shall be three years.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Board of Advanced Studies and Research shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
5. Functions of the Board of Advanced Studies and Research.– The functions of the Board of Advanced Studies and Research shall be to–
(a) advise the Authorities on all matters connected with the promotion of advanced studies and research publication in the University;
(b) consider and report to the Authorities of research degrees in the University;
(c) propose Regulations regarding the award of research degrees;
(d) appoint supervisors for Postgraduate research students and to approve titles and synopsis of their thesis/dissertations;
(e) recommend panels of names of examiners for evaluation of their other research examinations; and
(f) perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
6. Selection Board.– (1) The Selection Board shall consist of–
(a) the Vice Chancellor (Chairman);
(b) the Dean of the Faculty concerned;
(c) the Head of the Academic Department concerned;
(d) one member of the Board of Governors to be nominated by the Board;
(e) one eminent scholar to be nominated by the Board of Directors of the Foundation; and
(f) one expert in the subject to be nominated by the Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Education Department.
(2) The Registrar shall be the Secretary of the Selection Board.
(3) The members, other than ex-officio members, shall hold office for a period of three years.
(4) The quorum for a meeting of the Selection Board shall be four.
(5) No member, who is a candidate for the posts to which appointment is to be made, shall take part in the proceedings of the Selection Board.
(6) In selection of candidates for the posts of Professors and Associate Professors, the Selection Board shall co-opt or consult three experts in the subject concerned and in selecting candidates for other teaching posts, two experts in the subject concerned, to be nominated by the Vice Chancellor from a standing list of experts for each subject approved by the Board on the recommendation of the Selection Board and revised from time to time.
7. Functions of the Selection Board.– The functions of the Selection Board shall be to–
(a) consider the applications and recommend to the Board of Governors the names of suitable candidates for appointment to teaching and other posts, as the case may be, and recommend suitable salary for the candidate concerned; and
(b) consider all cases of promotion or selection of officers of the University and recommend the names of suitable candidates for such promotion or selection to the Board.
8. Finance and Planning Committee.– (1) The Finance and Planning Committee shall consist of–
(a) the Vice Chancellor (Chairman);
(b) all the Deans;
(c) one member of the Board to be nominated by the Board;
(d) one member of the Academic Council to be nominated by the Academic Council;
(e) one representative each from Education Department and Finance Department of the Government of the Punjab not below the rank of Deputy Secretary;
(f) Director Planning, Higher Education Commission;
(g) the Registrar; and
(h) one nominee of the Board of Directors of the Foundation.
(2) The term of office of the nominated members shall be three years.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Finance and Planning Committee shall be five.
9. Functions of the Finance and Planning Committee.– The functions of the Finance and Planning Committee shall be to–
(a) prepare the annual statement of accounts and propose annual budget estimates and advise the Board thereon;
(b) review periodically the financial position of the University;
(c) advise the Board on all matters relating to finance, investments and accounts of the University; and
(d) perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes.