CENTRAL EMPLOYEES BENEVOLENT FUND AND GROUP INSURANCE ACT, 1969
|1.||Short title, extent and commencement.|
|3.||This Act and rules to override other laws, but not to affect retirement benefits, etc.|
|board of trustees|
|4.||Board of Trustees.|
|5.||Board to be body corporate.|
|7.||Powers of the Board.|
|8.||Meetings of the Board.|
|9.||Secretary and his powers and functions.|
|10.||Delegation of powers.|
|11.||Central Employees Benevolent Fund.|
|12.||Subscriptions to be paid by the employees.|
|13.||Benevolent grants to be paid from the Benevolent Fund.|
|14.||Payment of Benevolent grant.|
|15.||Insurance of employees.|
|16.||Arrangements with Insurance Company, etc.|
|17.||Central Employees Insurance Fund.|
|18.||Payment of premia.|
|19.||Payment of the sum assured.|
|20.||Audit and accounts.|
|21.||Protection of action taken in good faith.|
|22.||Exemption from taxes.|
|23.||Power to make rules.|
|The First Schedule|
|The Second Schedule|
CENTRAL EMPLOYEES BENEVOLENT FUND AND GROUP INSURANCE ACT, 1969
act No. II of 1969
3rd February, 1969
An Act to establish a benevolent fund for the common benefit of the employees of the Central Government and certain autonomous bodies and to provide for their group insurance.
whereas it is expedient to establish a benevolent fund for the common benefit of the employees of the Central Government and certain autonomous bodies and to provide for their group insurance ;
It is hereby enacted as follows :—
1.— Short title, extent and commencement. (1) This Act may be called the Central Employees Benevolent Fund and Group Insurance Act, 1969.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan and applies to every employee wherever he may be.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint; and different dates may be appointed in respect of different provisions of this Act or for different classes or categories of employees.
In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(1) “Article” means an Article of the Constitution ;
(2) “Benevolent Fund” means the Central Employees Benevolent Fund established under section 11;
(3) “Board” means the Board of Trustees set up under section 4 ;
(4) “employee” means,—
(a) Any person who is a member of an All-Pakistan Service or of a civil service of the Centre, or who holds a civil post in connection with the affairs of the Centre ;
(b) Any officer or servant of the Supreme Court whose terms and conditions of employment are governed by rules made under Article 127 ;
(c) Any officer or servant employed in connection with the functions of the Chief Election Commissioner or an Election Commission whose terms and conditions of employment are governed by rules made under Article 154 ;
(d) Any member of the staff of the Central Public Service Commission whose terms and conditions of service are governed by an order made under Article 181;
(e) Any officer or servant of such body corporate, institution, organization or autonomous body, as the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, specify,
and includes any such person, officer, servant or member of the staff who is—
(i) On extension of service after the age of superannuating,
(ii) On deputation elsewhere or on foreign service within the meaning of the Fundamental Rules,
(iii) Undergoing study or training in or outside Pakistan
(iv) On leave, or
(v) Under orders of suspension ;
5) “Family” means,—
(a) In the case of a male employee, the wife or wives, and in the case of a female employee, the husband of the employee ; and
(b) The legitimate children, parents, minor brothers, unmarried, divorced or widowed sisters of the employee residing with and wholly dependent upon bun.
(6) “Insurance Fund” means the Central Employees Insurance Fund established under section 17 ;
(7) “Pay” includes special pay, personal pay, technical pay, leave salary and subsistence grant ;
(8) “Prescribed” means prescribed by rules ;
(9) “Rules” means rules made under this Act.
- This Act and rules to override other laws, but not to affect retirement benefits, etc. The provisions of this Act and the rules shall have effect notwithstanding anything contained in any other law, rule, order, notification, contract or other document or instrument ; but nothing here in contained shall affect the right to receive any pension, provident fund, gratuity or other benefits accruing to the employee on his retirement or invalidation or to his family upon his death, otherwise than under this Act.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
4.— Board of Trustees. (1) There shall be set up a board to be known as the Board of Trustees of the Central Employees Benevolent and Insurance Funds which shall consist of the following, namely:—
(a) Secretary to the Central Government in the Establishment Division, who shall be the Chairman of the Board ;
(b) An officer not below the rank of Joint Secretary concerned with the welfare of the employees of the Central Government appointed by the President, by notification in the official Gazette, to be a member of the Board ;
(c) Five persons from amongst the employees whom the President may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint to be the members of the Board :
Provided that at least one such member shall be from amongst the officers of the Ministry of Finance and one from amongst the officers of the Labour and Social Welfare Division.
(2) The members appointed by the President shall hold office during his pleasure.
- Board to be body corporate. The Board shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property both movable and immovable and shall by the aforesaid name sue or be sued.
- Head office. The head office of the Board shall be at Islamabad or at such other place as the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint.
- Powers of the Board. The Board shall have power—
(a) To settle claims for benevolent grants and sums assured under this Act and all matters connected with such-claims ;
(b) To sanction grant from the Benevolent Fund to the-employees or their families in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the rules ;
(c) To do or cause to be done all acts and things necessary for the proper administration and management of the moneys or properties in the Benevolent Fund and the Insurance Fund ;
(d) To sanction expenditure connected with the administration and management of the Benevolent Fund and the Insurance Fund ;
(e) To make arrangement for the insurance of the life of the employees to give effect to the provisions of this Act ;
(f) To invest moneys held in the Benevolent Fund in Government securities and units of Investment Corporation of Pakistan or National Investment Trust, in the construction of buildings for purposes-of raising rent income, and in other profitable ventures-the plans whereof having been previously approved-by the Central Government ;
(g) To set up regional boards and invest them with the-administrative and financial powers to deal with such. matters as may be assigned to them by the board ;
(h) To appoint or employ such persons including a managing director, if any, as it considers necessary for the efficient performance of its operations on such terms and conditions as it may, subject to rules,. determine ;
(i) To do or cause to be done all things ancillary or incidental to any of the aforesaid powers or to the purposed of the Benevolent Fund and the Insurance Fund.
8.— Meetings of the Board. (1) The Meetings of the Board shall be held at such times and places as may be prescribed, but the Chairman may convene the meetings of the Board at any other time and place,
(2) To constitute a quorum at a meeting of the Board,. the number of members present shall be three.
(3) Each member of the Board shall have one vote and in the event of equality of votes the Chairman shall have a second and casting vote.
(4) The meetings of the Board shall be presided over by the Chairman and in the absence of the Chairman by the person elected for the purpose by the members present from amongst themselves.
(5) All orders and decisions of the Board shall be authenticated by the signature of the Chairman or of such other member as may have been authorised by the Board by a resolution.
9.— Secretary and his powers and functions. (1) The Board may appoint any of its members to be the Secretary of the Board.
(2) The Secretary of the Board shall exercise such powers and perform such functions as may be prescribed or as may, subject to rules, be assigned to him by the Board.