COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES (AMENDMENT) ORDINANCE, 2001
(Pb Ord I of 2002)
5th January, 2002
An ordinance further to amend the Cooperative Societies Act, 1925.
Whereas it is expedient further to amend the Cooperative Societies Act, 1925 (VII of 1925), in the manner hereinafter appearing.
And whereas the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab is dissolved and the Governor is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
And whereas under Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No.9 of 1999, as amended by the Chief Executive Order No. 11 of 2000, the Governor of a Province may issue and promulgate an Ordinance;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the aforesaid powers and all other powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) This Ordinance may be called the Cooperative Societies (Amendment) Ordinance, 2001.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Substitution of section 16-A of Act VII of 1925.- In the said Act for section 16-A the following shall be substituted:
“16-A. Powers of the Registrar to amend byelaws.- (1) If the Registrar is satisfied that the byelaws of a society are inconsistent with any law for the time being in force, or it is necessary in the interest of the society and its members to make amendments in such byelaws, he may, by means of a notice in writing, giving reasons, bring the fact to the notice of the society and advise the society to make the amendments within a period of sixty days.
(2) If the society fails to make such amendments within the time specified in sub section (1), the Registrar may, after giving the society an opportunity of being heard, register such amendments as he may decide and issue to the society a copy of the amendment registered by him.
(3) An appeal shall lie to the Government from an order of the Registrar passed under sub section (2) within two months of the date of communication of the order.”