CIVIL SERVANTS (CONFIRMATION) RULES ,1993
SRO.285(I)/93.-In exercise of powers conferred by Section 25 of the Civil Servants
Act,1973 (LXXI of 1973), the President is pleased to make the following rules namely:
I. Short title, Commencement and application-(1) These rules may be called the Civil Servants(Confirmation) Rules, 1993.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
(3) They shall apply to all civil servants.
2. Definitions.- In these Rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or contexts:
3. General Principles of Confirmation.-(1) A Civil Servant initially appointed to a
post, on probation including a civil servant promoted or appointed to a post on transfer,
shall on satisfactory completion of his probation be eligible for confirmation in that post:
Provided that the confirmation shall be made only against a permanent post.
Provided further that two or more civil servants shall not be confirmed in the same post and at the same time or in a post on which another civil servant holds a lien:
Provided also that a civil servant shall not be confirmed on two or more posts at the same time.
(2) A civil servant shall be considered for confirmation strictly in order of his seniority.
(3) No confirmation shall be made against the post vacated on dismissal, removal or compulsory retirement of a civil servant until his appeal against such dismissal or, as the case may be, removal or retirement is finally decided.
4. The confirmation shall be made on the recommendations of the Confirmation
Committees constituted for the purpose and with the approval of authorities specified below:
in BS-20 and above
Ministry or an authority controlling the Service Cadre / post as Chairman, Additional Secretary or a Joint Secretary where there is no Additional Secretary in the Ministry concerned and Additional Secretary Establishment Division as Members. If posts are in an Attached Department or Subordinate Office, the Head of the Attached Department or Head of Office who controls the particular Service/Cadre/ Post may be appointed as Co-opted Member.
Posts in BS-17 to BS-19
Additional Secretary or Joint Secretary where there is no Additional Secretary in the Administrative Ministry controlling the service/cadre/post as Chairman, and a Joint Secretary and a Senior Deputy Secretary of the Ministry concerned as Members. If posts are in an Attached Department or a Sub-ordinate Office, the Head of Attached Department or Head of Office who controls the particular service/cadre/post may be appointed as Co-opted Member.
Secretary of the Administrative Ministry/Division who controls the particular service/ cadre/ post.
Composition of the Committees