KESC ELECTRICITY CONTROL ORDER, 1978
WHEREAS under conditions of emergencies arising on account of shortage in the supply of electrical energy due to breakdown of two numbers of generating units on the Karachi Electric Supply System it appears to the Chief Engineering Advisor and Chairman, Federal Flood Commission, Government of Pakistan, to be necessary and expedient for maintaining supplies essential to the life of the community to provide for regulating the consumption and production of electrical energy, under such conditions ;
NOW, THEREFORE, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 2 of Electricity Control Ordinance, 1965, read with the Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Water and Power Notification No. S.R.O. 777 (1)/78, dated the 18th June, 1978, the Chief Engineering Advisor and Chairman, Federal Flood Commission of the Ministry of Water and Power, Government of Pakistan, is pleased to make the following Order, namely :-
1. (1) This Order may be called the Electricity Control Order, 1978 (KESC).
(2) It shall come into force at once and shall remain in force for so long as an emergency in supply of electrical energy continues in KESC licensed area.
(3) It extends to the entire licensed area of Karachi Electric Supply Corporation and also in the adjoining areas of Sind and Baluchistan where KESC is supplying electrical energy.
2. In this Order, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context :-
(a) 'Commercial establishment' means an establishment in which tile business of advertising, commission or forwarding is conducted, or which is a commission agency, and includes a joint-stock company, an insurance company, a banking company or bank, a broker's office and a stock exchange ;
(b) 'Industrial consumer' means a factory which is run, wholly or in part, by electrical energy;
(c) 'Industrial establishment' means a workshop or other establishment in which the work of making altering, ornamenting, finishing, packing or otherwise treating any article or substance, with a view to its use, sale, transport, delivery or disposal is carried on or where such service is rendered to a consumer; ,
(d) 'Peak hours' means the hours between 5.30 P.M. to 9.30 P.M. in winter (1st October to 31st March) and between 6.30 P.M. to 10.30 P.M. in summer (1st April to 30th September);
(e) 'shop' means any premises used wholly or in part for the wholesale or retail sale of commodities or articles or services are rendered to customers, and includes an office, a store-room, godown, warehouse or place of work, whether in the same premises or otherwise, mainly connected with such trade or business; and
(f) 'KESC' means the Karachi Electric Supply Corporation.
3. No light for decoration, advertisement or display shall be lit during the peak hours by, in or outside any industrial or commercial establishment, shop, cinema-house, theatre or other place of entertainment, eating house, restaurant, hotel or market place.
4. KESC shall ensure that in the case of street lights within the limits of its jurisdiction not more than fifty per cent of the installed electric lights on each street are lit.
5. All the agricultural tubewells run by electrical energy shall remain off during the peak hours.
6. Industrial consumers except for continuous process and three shift industries shall adopt and strictly observe staggering of weekly holidays within the KESC licensed area, in accordance with the programme of weakly holidays to be notified by KESC from time to time.
7. Consumers of electrical energy having their own generating plants shall run them to their maximum safe capacity on notification by
8. Single and double shift industries shall adjust their working hours in such a way that these are switched off during the peak hours.
9. Industrial consumers, except for continuous process industries and spinning mills, shall cut their load by 20% during peak hours.
10. All air-conditioners, except those installed in cinemas, hotels and hospitals, shall remain switched off during the peak hours.
11. Clauses 9 and 10 will apply only in case of 'extreme emergency' which shall be notified by KESC.