EXPLOSIVES ACT, 1884
Short title. Local extent.
Power to make rules as to licensing of the manufacture, possession, use, sale, transport and importation of explosives.
Power for appropriate Government to prohibit the manufacture, possession or importation of specially dangerous explosives.
Power to make rules conferring powers of inspection, search, seizure, detention and removal.
Notice of accidents.
Inquiry into accidents.
Inquiry into more serious accidents.
Forfeiture of explosives.
Distress of vessel.
Abetment and attempts.
Power to arrest without warrant persons committing dangerous offences.
Saving and power to exempt.
Saving of Arms Act, 1878.
Saving as to liability under other law.
Extension of definition of "explosive" to other explosive substances.
Procedure for making publication and confirmation of rules.
Explosives Act, 1884
act No. IV of 1884
[26th February, 1884]
An Act to regulate the manufacture, possession,
use, sale, transport and importation of Explosives.
whereas it is expedient to regulate the manufacture, possession, use, sale, transport and importation of explosives ; It is hereby enacted as follows :—
1.—(l) Short title. This Act may be called the Explosives Act, 1884; and
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan].
2.—(1) Local extent. This Act shall come into force on such day as the Central Government], by notification in the [official Gazette], appoints :
3. [Repeal of portions of Act XII of 1875]Rep. by the Indian Ports Act, 1889 (X of 1889)S. 2 and Sch.II.
4. Definitions. In this Act, unless there is something repugnant in the subject or context,— (1) "explosive"
(a) Means gunpowder, nitroglycerine, dynamite, gun-cotton, blasting powders, fulminate of mercury or of other metals, coloured fires and every other substance, whether similar to those above-mentioned or not, used or manufactured with a view to produce a practical effect by explosion, or a pyrotechnic effect; and
(b) includes fog-signals, fireworks, fuses, rockets, percussion-caps, detonators, cartridges, ammunition of all descriptions, and every adaptation or preparation of an explosive as above defined:
(2) "Manufacture" includes the process of dividing into its component parts, or otherwise breaking up or unmaking, any explosive, or making fit for use any damaged explosive, and the process of re-making, altering or repairing any explosive:
(3) "vessel" includes every ship, boat and other vessel used in navigation, whether propelled by oars or otherwise:
(4) "carriage" includes any carriage, wagon, cart, truck, vehicle or other means of conveying goods, or passengers by land, in whatever manner the same may be propelled:
(5) "master" includes every person (except a pilot or harbormaster) having for the time being command or charge of a vessel: provided that, in reference to any boat belonging to a ship, "master" shall mean the master of the ship:
(6) "import" means to bring into [Pakistan] by sea or land.
(7) appropriate Government means, in relation to manufacture, importation, and transport between provinces of explosives, the Central Government, and in relation to other matters, the Provincial Government.]
5.—(1) Power to make rules as to licensing of the manufacture, possession, use, sale, transport and importation of explosives. The appropriate Government] may for any part of [Pakistan], make rules consistent with this Act to regulate or prohibit, except under and in accordance with the conditions of a license granted as provided by those rules, the manufacture, possession, use, sale, transport and importation of explosives, or any specified class of explosives.
(2) Rules under this section may provide for all or any of the following, among other matters, that is to say :—
(a) the authority by which licenses may be granted ;
(b) the fees to be charged for licenses, and the other sums (if any) to be paid for expenses by applicants for licenses ;
(c) the manner in which applications for licenses must be made, and the matters to be specified in such applications ;
(d) the form in which, and the conditions on and subject to which, licenses must be granted ;