FORMAN CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, LAHORE ACT, 2004
(Pb. Act XXIII of 2004)
1. Short title and commencement.
3. Establishment of the University.
4. Functions and powers of the University.
7. Inspection and Inquiry.
10. University fund.
11. Budget, audit and accounts.
12. Authorities of the University.
13. Board of Governors.
14. Powers and duties of the Board.
15. Business of the Board.
16. Delegation of powers.
17. Academic Council.
18. Powers and duties of Academic Council.
20. First Statutes.
22. Removal of difficulties.
FORMAN CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, LAHORE ACT 2004
(Pb. Act XXIII of 2004)
12th September 2004
An Act to grant University status to the
Forman Christian College, Lahore.
Preamble.– Whereas it is expedient to grant University status to the Forman Christian College, Lahore in the private sector and to make provisions for matters connected therewith or ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement.– (1) This Act may be called the Forman Christian College, Lahore Act 2004.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.– In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context–
(a) “Academic Council” means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) “Academic Vice President” means the Academic Vice President of the University;
(c) “Authority” means any of the Authorities of the University specified in section 12;
(d) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
(e) “Chairperson of Department” means the head of a teaching department;
(f) “Dean” means the Chairman of the Board of a Faculty;
(g) “Faculty” means a faculty of the University;
(h) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
(i) “Patron” means the Patron of the University;
(j) “Rector” means the Rector of the University;
(k) “Registrar” means the Registrar of the University;
(l) “Society” means the educational society of the Forman Christian College, Lahore registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860;
(m) “Statutes”, “Regulations” and “Rules” mean respectively the Statutes, the Regulations and the Rules made or deemed to have been made under this Act; and
(n) “University” means the Forman Christian College, Lahore constituted as University under this Act.
3. Establishment of the University.– (1) There shall be established a University to be called the Forman Christian College, Lahore in the private sector with its campus located at Lahore.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall, by the said name, sue and be sued.
4. Functions and powers of the University.– The functions and powers of the University shall be–
(a) to provide for instruction and training in –
(i) Natural Sciences, Social & Behavioural Sciences, Humanities, Information Technology, Management, Education and Business & Commerce; and
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board may determine with the approval of the Patron given on the recommendation of a committee constituted by the Education Department:
Provided that in case of medical and engineering education, approval of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Pakistan Engineering Council respectively shall be a pre-requisite;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations in a manner as may be determined by the Government and confer on or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote Faculties;
(e) to prescribe courses of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programs.
5. Jurisdiction.– (1) The jurisdiction of the University shall be restricted to the Province of the Punjab.
(2) The University shall not open any sub-campus for a period of ten years from the commencement of this Act after which period it may have sub-campuses with the approval of the Patron.
(3) The University may affiliate any other educational institution only with the approval of the Patron.
6. Patron.– (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Patron of the University.
(2) The Patron or his nominee shall preside at the convocations of the University.
(3) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Patron.
(4) The Patron shall have the power to assent to the Statutes submitted to him by the Board or refer them back to the Board for reconsideration.
7. Inspection and inquiry.– (1) The Patron may cause an inspection or inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the University.
(2) The Patron shall communicate to the Board his views with regard to the result of the inspection or inquiry and shall, after ascertaining the views of the Board, advise the Board on the action to be taken by it.
(3) The Board shall, within such time as may be specified by the Patron, communicate to him such action as has been taken as a result of the inspection or inquiry.
(4) Where the Board does not, within the time specified, take action to the satisfaction of the Patron, the Patron may issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Board shall comply with all such directions.
(5) The Patron may, on the recommendation of a committee constituted by him and comprising a nominee of the Board, a Judge of the Lahore High Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said Court and a Professor Emeritus or Vice Chancellor, take any action against the University including its closure.
(6) The Government may make Rules to give effect to the provisions of sub-section (5).
(7) The Patron shall have the authority to annul any decision or action of the Board, which he thinks was taken against the interest of academic excellence, religious and cultural ideology and national integrity.
8. Rector.– (1) The Rector shall be an eminent scholar of national repute, who shall be appointed by the Government upon the recommendation of the Board on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
(2) The Rector shall be the chief executive officer of the University and shall perform such functions as are assigned to him by the Board.
9. Appointments.– The University may appoint such persons in its services as may be necessary on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
10. University fund.– There shall be a fund to be known as the Forman Christian College, Lahore Fund which shall vest in the University and to which shall be credited all sums received by the University.
11. Budget, audit and accounts.– The budget of the University shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained and audited in such manner as may be prescribed by the Board.
12. Authorities of the University.– The following shall be the Authorities of the University:-
(a) the Board of Governors;
(b) the Academic Council;
(c) the Board of Faculties;
(d) the Board of Advanced Studies and Research;
(e) the Selection Board;
(f) the Finance and Planning Committee; and
(g) such other Authorities as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
13. Board of Governors.– (1) The Board of Governors of the University shall consist of the following:-
(i) the Chairman of the Society;
(ii) members of the Board of Directors of the Society subject to a maximum of eight members;
(iii) two eminent persons/scholars of national repute to be nominated by the Board of Directors of the Society;
(iv) the Chairman, Higher Education Commission or his nominee not below the rank of an Executive Director;
(v) a Vice Chancellor of a public sector University in the Punjab nominated by the Patron;
(vi) the Rector; and
(vii) Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Education Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary.
(2) The Chairman of the Society shall be the Chairman of the Board.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Board shall be one-half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one; provided that at least two members shall be official members.
14. Powers and duties of the Board.– (1) The administration and management of the affairs of the University shall vest in the Board.
(2) The Board shall forward the draft of Statutes to the Patron for approval.
15. Business of the Board.– (1) The meetings and business of the Board shall be conducted in such manner and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed in the Regulations and until these matters are prescribed, as may be determined by the Board.
(2) No Statute, Regulation or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Board.
16. Delegation of powers.– The Board may delegate to any person or a committee any of its powers, duties or functions.
17. Academic Council.– (1) The Academic Council shall consist of–
(i) the Rector (Chairman);
(ii) all the Deans;
(iii) all the Heads of the Departments/Institutes;
(iv) all Professors and Associate Professors of the University;
(v) all full-time members of the teaching faculty who hold appointments as Assistant Professors and Lecturers, who have been on the faculty for at least one year;
(vi) any senior administrative officer of the University to be nominated by the Rector;
(vii) an expert in the field of education to be nominated by the Secretary, Education Department out of a panel of experts; and
(viii) the Registrar (Member/Secretary).
(2) Members appointed by nomination shall hold office for three years.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Academic Council shall be one-half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
18. Powers and duties of Academic Council.– (1) The Academic Council shall be the academic body of the University and shall, by the Statutes, have the powers to lay down proper standards of instruction, research, publication and examination and to regulate and promote the academic life of the University.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing powers and subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, the Academic Council shall have the powers to–admin2020-01-15T16:06:48+05:00