FREEDOM OF INFORMATION RULES, 2004
S.R.O. 514 (1)/2004:- In exercise of the powers conferred by section 25 of the Freedom of Information Ordinance, 2002 (Ordinance No.XCVI of 2002), the Federal Government is pleased to make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title, application and commencement. -(I) These rules may be called the Freedom of Information Rules, 2004.
(2) They shall apply to public bodies.
(3) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions:- In these Rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context:-
(a) “Ordinance” means the Freedom of Information Ordinance, 2002 (XCVI of 2002); and
(b) all other words and expression used, but not defined herein. shall have the same meanings as are assigned to them in the Ordinance.
3. Designated official. -( I) The Head of every public body shall designate an official for a public body under his administrative control for the purpose of providing duly attested photocopy of the public record to the applicant, in accordance with the provisions of sections 7, II, 12 and 13 of the Ordinance.
(2) The designated official shall be a senior officer of the public body not below BPS-19. In case no such official has been designated or in the event of the absence or non-availability of the designated official, the person incharge of the public body shall be the designated official, for the purposes of these rules.
4. Application for obtaining information. -(I) Subject to sub-section (2) of section 12 of the Ordinance, any citizen of Pakistan may apply on the Application Form as set out in Annexure-1 for obtaining photocopy of the public record available with the respective public body along with an initial fee of fifty rupees for ten or less than ten pages to be deposited with the Cash Branch of the respective department under proper receipt or in the State Bank of Pakistan or National Bank of Pakistan or Treasury under the following heads of account, namely:- ~
(a) major head 1300000 other receipts;
(b) minor head 1390000 other; and
(c) detailed head 1391221 fee payable for obtaining information and copies of public record.
(2), An amount of five rupees per page of photocopy shall be deposited in the heads of account specified in sub-rule (1) of rule 4 for every additional page (standard size) if the number of the pages of the record requested exceeds ten pages per requisition.
(3) In case of any Board, Commission, Councilor other body established by, or under, a Federal law, charges shall be deposited in their respective heads of account.
(4) Subject to the availability of the facility each public body shall make available the Application Form (Annexure-I) on its website.
(5) Procedure for disposal of application. -The designated official of every public body shall give an intimation to the applicant in the form as set out in Annexure-ll and duly attested photocopy of public record subject to the provisions of rules 6 and 7 except such information as is exempted under sections 8, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 of the Ordinance, as well as, any other instructions of the Government for restricting the disclosure of information by the public body concerned.
6. Procedure for filing of complaint with the head of public body. -In case the requisite information is not provided by the designated official of a public body within twenty-one days, the applicant may, file a complaint with the head of that public body and the head of such public body shall dispose of the complaint under intimation to the complainant\ within thirty days of its receipt. In case the application is sent through mail it shall be disposed of within prescribed time limit beginning from the date of the receipt in the office concerned.