HIGH TREASON (PUNISHMENT)
(LXVIII OF 1973)
26th September, 1973
An Act to provide for the
punishment of persons found guilty of
acts of abrogation or subversion of a Constitution or of high treason
Preamble: Whereas it is necessary to provide for the punishment of persons found guilty of acts of abrogation or subversion of a Constitution or of high treason;
It is hereby enacted as follows:‑
1. Short title, extent and commencement : (1) This act may be called the High Treason (Punishment) Act, 1973.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) it shall come into force at once.
2. Punishment for high treason, etc. : A person who is found guilty‑‑
(a) of having committed an act of abrogation or subversion of a constitution in force in Pakistan at any time since the twenty‑third day of March, 1956; or
(b) of high treason as defined in Article 6 of the Constitution, shall be punishable with death or imprisonment for life.
3. Procedure : No Court shall take cognizance of an offence punishable under this act except upon a complaint in writing made by a person authorised by the Federal Government in this behalf.