INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION ACT, 1994
ACT XX OF 1994
An Act to re-constitute and reorganize the Institute of Business Administration Karachi and to confer
on the Institute the power to award degrees.
17th August, 1994
No. PAS/Legis-B-11/94, dated 17-8-1994.–The Institute of Business Administration Bill, 1994 having been passed by the Provincial Assembly of Sindh on 15th June, 1994 and assented to by the Governor of Sindh on 31st July, 1994 is hereby published as an Act of the Legislature of Sindh:–
Preamble.–Whereas it is expedient to reconstitute and re-organize and to confer on the institute of Business Administration, Karachi, the power to award degrees and to provide matters connected therewith or ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:–
- Short title and commencement.–(1) This Act may be called the Institute of Business Administration Act, 1994.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
- Definitions.–In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context—
(a) “Academic Board” means the Academic Board of the Institute;
(b) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
(c) “Chairman” means the Chairman of the Board;
(d) “Controller of Examination” means the Controller of Examinations of the Institute;
(e) “Director” means the Director of the Institute;
(f) “Director Finance” means the Director Finance of the Institute;
(g) “Government” means the Government of Sindh;
(h) “Institute” means the Institute of Business Administration Karachi, as reconstituted under this Act;
(i) “Member” means a member of the Board;
(j) “Patron” means the Governor of Sindh;
(k) “prescribed“ means prescribed by rules framed under this Act;
(1) “Selection Board” means the Selection Board of the Institute.
- Establishment of the Institute.–The Institute of Business Administration Karachi, as reconstituted and reorganized in accordance with the provisions of this Act, shall be a body corporate by the name of the Institute of Business Administration, Karachi, and shall have perpetual succession and a common seal, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
- All properties, rights and interests of whatever kind, used, enjoyed, possessed, owned or vested in, or held in trust by or for the Institute of Business Administration as established under the First University Ordinance of the University of Karachi, 1962 and reconstituted under section 28(1)(g) of the University of Karachi Act, 1972 and all liabilities legally subsisting against the said Institute shall pass to the Institute of Business Administration as reconstituted under this Act.
- Power and functions of the Institute.–The Institute shall have the power–(a) to provide for teaching Business Administration and related fields as it may deem fit, and to make provision for research management, development programmes, consultancy and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in such manner as it may determine;
(b) to prescribe course of studies to be conducted by it and its affiliated institutions;
(c) to hold examinations and to award and confer degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to and on persons who have been admitted to and have passed its examinations under prescribed conditions;
(d) to affiliate or disaffiliate educational institutions under prescribed conditions;
(e) to accept the examination passed and the periods of study spent by students at other universities and places of learning as equivalent to such examinations and periods of study in the Institutions as it may determine, and to withdraw such acceptance;
(f) to create posts for teaching, research, training, consultancy administration and other related purposes and to appoint persons thereto;
(g) to establish centres of learning for the development of teaching and research and to make such arrangements for their maintenance, management and administration as it may determine;
(h) to make provision for research, consultancy and advisory service and with these objects to enter into arrangements with other institutions or with public and private bodies under prescribed conditions;
(i) to promote cooperation with Government, national and international organizations and Universities in activities falling within the purview of the Institute:
(j) to do all such other Acts and things, whether incidental to the powers aforesaid or not, as may be necessary in order to further the objectives of the Institute as a place of education, learning, research and consultancy.
- Institute open to all.–The Institute shall be open to all persons of either sex and whatever religion, race, creed, caste, colour or domicile who are academically qualified for admission to the courses of study offered by the Institute and no such person shall be denied the privilege on the ground only of sex, religion, race, caste, creed, colour or domicile.
- Patron.–(1) The Governor of Sindh shall be the Patron and the Controlling Authority of the Institute.
(2) The Patron shall, when present, presides at the convocation of the Institute.
(3) If the Patron is satisfied that the proceedings of the Board, Selection Board, or the Academic Board are not in accordance with the provisions of this Act, he may after calling upon such Board to show-cause why such proceedings should not be annulled by order in writing, annul the proceedings.
(4) In the absence of the Patron, the Chairman shall preside the convocation.
- Visitation.–(1) The Patron may cause a visitation or enquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the Institute and appoint such person or persons as may deem fit for the purpose.
(2) The Patron shall, on receipt of a report under subsection (1) shall issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Vice-Chancellor will comply with such directions.
- Director.-(1) The Director shall be appointed by the Patron who shall hold office during his pleasure and unless removed earlier hold office for a period of four years on, such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Patron.
(2) The Director shall be the Chief Executive of the Institute having authority over academic, administrative and financial affairs and shall ensure that the provisions of this Act and the rules are faithfully observed.
(3) The Director, may in am emergency, which in his opinion requires immediate action, take such action as he may consider necessary and shall, as soon as thereafter as possible, report his action to the Board.
- Director of Finance.–(1) The Director of Finance shall be appointed by the Patron on such terms and conditions as may be determined by him.
(2) The Director of Finance shall–
(i) manage the property, finances and investments of the Institute;
(ii) prepare the annual and revised budget estimates of the Institute and present them to the Board for approval;
(iii) ensure that the funds of the Institute are spent for the purpose for which they are provided;
(iv) perform such other duties as may be prescribed.
- Controller of Examinations.–The Controller of Examinations shall be appointed by the Board and will be responsible for all matters connected with the examinations and be responsible for keeping its record properly and shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed.
- Board of Governors.–(1) There shall be a Board of Governors, consisting of the following:-
(i) A Judge of the High Court of Sindh to be nominated by the patron from amongst a
panel of three Judges Chairman
(ii) Vice-Chancellor University of Karachi Member
(iii) Vice-Chancellor University of Sindh Member
(iv) The Director (Chief Executive) Member
(v) Secretary Education Government of Sindh. Member
(vi) One nominee of the University Grants Commission not below the rank of a whole
time Member. Member
(vii) President of the Sindh Chamber of Commerce Member
(viii) President, Chamber of Commerce and Industries Pakistan Member