INSTITUTE OF LAHORE ORDINANCE, 2002
Ord XXII of 2002
10th April, 2002
An Ordinance to provide for the establishment of the Institute of Lahore.
Preamble.- Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of the Institute of Lahore and for matters ancillary and connected thereto in the manner hereinafter appearing;
And whereas the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab stands dissolved and the Governor is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
And whereas under Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No.9 of 1999, as amended by the Chief Executive Order No.11 of 2000, the Governor of a Province may issue and promulgate an Ordinance;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the aforesaid powers and all other powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) This Ordinance may be called the Institute of Lahore, Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.- In this Ordinance unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context-
a) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
b) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
c) “Institute” means the Institute of Lahore as constituted under this Ordinance;
d) “Patron” means the Governor of the Punjab;
e) “Rector” means the Rector of the Institute;
f) “Regulation” means the Regulations made or deemed to have been made under this Ordinance; and
g) “Trust” means “Ibadat Trust”.
3. Establishment of the Institute.- (1) There shall be established an Institute to be called the Institute of Lahore with its campus located at Lahore.
(2) The Institute shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
4. Functions and powers of the Institute.- The functions and powers of the Institute shall be:
(a) to provide for instruction and training in –
(i) Management Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities; and
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board of Governors may determine with the approval of the Patron given on the recommendations of a committee constituted by the Education Department:
Provided that in case of medical and engineering education, approval of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Pakistan Engineering Council respectively shall be a pre-requisite;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations and confer on or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote faculties;
(e) to prescribe course of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programs.
5. Jurisdiction.- (1) The jurisdiction of the Institute shall be restricted to the Province of the Punjab.
(2) The Institute shall not open any sub-campus or affiliate any other educational institution for a period of ten years from the commencement of this Ordinance after which period it may have sub-campuses with the approval of the Patron.
6. Patron.- (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Patron of the Institute.