Short title and commencement
Method of appointment
Departmental Promotion and Selection Committees
Procedure when recommendation of Departmental Promotion or Selection Committee is not accepted
APPOINTMENT BY PROMOTION OR TRANSFER
Appointment by promotion or transfer
Inter Provincial Transfer
Appointment on acting charge or current charge basis
Appointment by initial recruitment
Zonal and divisional representation
AD HOC APPOINTMENT
Requisition to Commission
Ad hoc appointment
PROBATION AND CONFIRMATION
25th December 1991
In exercise of the powers conferred by section 26 the North-West Frontier, Province Civil Servants Act, 1973 (N.W.F.P. Act XVIII of 1973) the Governor of the North-West Frontier Province is pleased to make the following rules, namely:-
1. Short title and commencement.-(1) These rules may be called the North-West Frontier Province Civil Servants (Appointment, Promotion and Transfer) Rules, 1989.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.-(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires:-
(a) ‘appointing authority’ in relation to a post, means the person authorized under rule 4 to take appointment to that post;
(b) ‘Basic Pay Scale’ means the Basic Pay Scales for the time being sanctioned by Government, in which a post or a group of posts is placed;
(c) ‘Commission’ means the North-West Frontier Province Public Service Commission;
(d) ‘Departmental Promotion Committee’ means a Committee constituted for the purpose of making selection for promotion or transfer to posts under a Department, or offices of Government in basic pay scale 16 and below;
(e) ‘Departmental Selection Committee’ means a Committee constituted for the purpose of making selection for initial appointment to posts under a Department, or offices of Government in basic pay scale 15 and below;
(f) ‘Post’ means a post sanctioned in connection with the affairs of the Province, but not allocated all Pakistan Unified Grades ; and
(g) ‘Provincial Selection Board’ means the Board constituted by the Government _for the purpose of selection of civil servants for promotion or transfer to posts in basic pay scale 17 and above, consisting of such persons as may be appointed to it by Government from time to time consisting of such persons as may be appointed to it by Government from time to time.
(2) Words and expressions used but not defined in these rules shall be have the same meanings as are assigned to them in the North-West Frontier Province Civil Servants Act, 1973 (N.W.F.P. Act XVIII of 1973), or any other statutory order or rules of Government for the time being in force.
3. Method of appointment.-(I) Appointment to posts shall be made by any of the following methods namely:-
(a) by promotion or transfer in accordance with the provisions contained in Part-11 of these rules; and
(b) by initial recruitment in accordance with the provisions contained in Part III of these rules,
(2) The method of appointment, qualifications and other conditions applicable to a post shall be such as laid down by the Department concerned in consultation with the Services and General Administration Department and the Finance Department.
4. Appointing Authority:– The authorities competent to make appointment to posts in various basic pay scales shall be as follows:-
Posts in Basic Pay Scale 17 and above
The Chief Minister
Posts in Basic Pay Scale 16
a) In the case of Secretariat of the Government of North-West Frontier Province
the Chief Secretary;
(b) In the case of High Court,
the Chief Justice; and
(c) In the case of Attached Departments-
(i) the Head of the Attached Department concerned ; and
Posts in Basic Pay Scales 3 to 15
(a) In the case of Civil Servants borne on ministerial establishment of Civil Courts subordinate to High Court
the Officer authorized as such by the Chief Justice ; and
(b) in other cases:-
(i) an officer declared as appointing authority under the relevant Delegation of Powers Rules, which shall to this extent be deemed as operative ; or
Post in Basic Pay Scale 1 and 2
Deputy Secretary in charge of administration of Head of an Attached Department office, as the case may be.
Note– For the purpose of appointment to a post borne on the ministerial establishment of the Civil Secretariat in basic pay scales 3 to 15 ‘Secretary to Government means the Secretary to Government, Services and General Administration Department, and in other cases the Secretary of the Department concerned.
5. Departmental Promotion and Selection Committees.-(I) In each Department or office of Government there shall be one or more Departmental Promotion Committees and Departmental Selection Committees, the composition of which shall be determined by the Services and General Administration Department or the Department concerned in consultation with the Services and General Administration Department.
(2) Each such Committee shall consist of at least three members, one of whom shall be appointed as Chairman.
6. Procedure when recommendation of Departmental Promotion or Selection Committee is not accepted.— Where an appointing authority for basic pay scale 16 and below does not accept the recommendation of a Departmental Selection or Promotion Committee, it shall record its reasons and obtain orders of the next higher authority.