(Pb Ord XXXVIII of 2002)
[8th July, 2002]
An ordinance further to amend the Punjab Agricultural Income Tax Act, 1997.
Whereas it is expedient further to amend the Punjab Agricultural Income Tax Act, 1997 (I of 1997), for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
And whereas the Provincial Assembly of the
And whereas under Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No. 9 of 1999, as amended by the Chief Executive Order No.11 of 2000, the Governor of a Province may issue adnd promulgate an Ordinance;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the aforesaid powers and all other powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of the Punjab is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) This Ordinance may be called the Punjab Agricultural Income Tax (Amendment) Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It shall come into force on the 1st day of July, 2002.
2. Amendment in section 2 of Act I of 1997.- In the said Act, in section 2 clause (c), the word “matured” shall be substituted by the word “mature”.
3. Amendment in section 3 of Act I of 1997.- In the said Act, in section 3-
(i) sub section (2) shall be omitted; and
(ii) in sub section (3) the words, brackets, figure and comma “who is required to file a return of his total agricultural income under sub section (2),” shall be omitted.
4. Amendment in section 4 of Act I of 1997.- In the said Act, in section 4, for sub section (3) the following shall be substituted:-
“(3) Every person –
(a) whose total agricultural income or the total agricultural income of any other person in respect of which he is assessable under this Act, for any income year (hereinafter referred to as the said income year) exceeds the maximum amount which is not chargeable to tax under this Act; or
(b) who himself or any other person on whose behalf he is assessable under this Act, has during the said income year, cultivated land measuring –
(i) fifty acres or more of irrigated land; or
(ii) one hundred acres or more of unirrigated land; or
(iii) irrigated and unirrigated land the aggregate area of which is equal to or more than
fifty acres of irrigated land, one acre of irrigated land being reckoned as
equivalent to two acres of unirrigated land,
shall file a return of his total agricultural income or the agricultural income of such other person, as the case may be, for the said income year in such form and by such date as may be prescribed.”
5. Substitution of the First Schedule to Act I of 1997.- In the said Act, for the First Schedule, the following shall be substituted:-
(see section 2 (1)
1. Slab of total cultivated land, computed as irrigated land by treating one acre of irrigated land as equal to two acres of unirrigated land, excluding mature orchard.
Rate of tax per acre
(i) Not exceeding 5 acres
(ii) Exceeding 5 acres but not exceeding 25 acres
(iii) Exceeding 25 acres
2. Mature orchard
Rs.300/- per acre
Rs.150/- per acre”