Television Receiving Apparatus (Possession and Licencing) Rules, 1970
12th October, 1970
In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 10 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933 (XVII of 1933), the Federal Government is pleased to make the following rules, namely:
1. (1) These rules may be called the Television Receiving Apparatus (Possession and Licencing) Rules, 1970.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context, –
(a) ‘Act’ means the Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933 (XVII of 1933);
(b) ‘Corporation’ means the Pakistan Television Corporation Limited, registered under the Companies Ordinance, 1984 (XLVII of 1984), and having its registered office at
(c) ‘Dealer’ means any person who deals in television receiving apparatus or manufactures or assembles or imports television receiving apparatus for sale;
(d) ‘Form’ means form appended to these rules;
(e) ‘Holder’ means any person for the time being in
(f) ‘Licence‘ means licence issued under these rules;
(g) ‘Licencing Authority’ means the Chairman of the Corporation or a person authorized by him in this behalf;
(h) ‘Quarter’ means quarter of a year ending the 1st March, 30th June, 30th September to 31st December;
(i) ‘Television receiving Apparatus’ means any apparatus which is capable of being used for receiving the telecast of the corporation either by itself or with the addition of electric power, aerials, valves or similar other device, and includes any apparatus which is temporarily incapable of being so used by reason of defect in its component parts or in the electric wiring; and
(j) ‘Year’ means calendar year.
3. (1) An application for a licence shall be made in Form I in accordance with such instructions was the Licensing Authority may, from time to time, issue.
2-A holder in possession of a television receiving apparatus at the commencement of these rules shall make an application not later than thirty days from such commencement.
(3) Every application under sub-rule (1), shall be accompanied by a fee of the following amount, namely: –
(a) if the holder is a person who is not a dealer and does not maintain the television receiving apparatus for commercial purposes, 50 rupees if paid on annual basis and 15 rupees per quarter if | paid on quarterly basis, and \
(b) if the holder is a dealer or a person who maintains the television receiving apparatus for commercial purposes, two hundred rupees if paid on annual basis and sixty rupees per quarter if paid on quarterly basis:
Provided that an application made at any time before the 31st day of October, 1970, shall be accompanied by a fee-
(a) equal to the fee payable on annual basis, in the case of a holder who came to possess a television receiving apparatus at any time before the 1st day of April, 1970;
(b) equal to seventy five per cent. of the fee payable on annual basis, in the case of a holder who came or comes to possess a television receiving apparatus at any time after the 31st day of March, 1970, but before the 1st day of July, 1970;
(c) equal to fifty per cent. of the fee payable on annual basis, in the case of a holder who came to possess a television receiving apparatus at any time after the 30th day of June, 1970, but before the 1st day of October, 1970; and
(d) equal to twenty-five per cent of the payable on annual basis in the case of a holder who came or comes to possess a television receiving apparatus at any time after the 30th day of September, 1970:
Provided further that no fee shall be payable by a holder who, in the opinion of the Licensing Authority, is maintaining or proposes to maintain a television receiving apparatus for the purposes of an educational institution, or Hospitals or other philanthropic or charitable organization.
4. A licence shall be issued in Form 11, to a holder other than a dealer and in Form 111, to a dealer.
5. A licence shall be transferable.
6. Every licence shall be valid for the period for which the fee payable under rule 3 has been paid and shall have specified thereon the date up to which it shall be valid.
7. (1) A licence shall authorize the licensee to keep one television receiving apparatus in one building specified therein:
Provided that the Licencing Authority may permit licencee to keep the apparatus in two or more buildings.
(2) The Licencing Authority may, on the application of a licensee during the currency of the licence, under the specification of the building specified therein.
8. If a holder maintains a television receiving apparatus without a licence or continues to maintain-such apparatus after the expiry of the period of validity of his licence without obtaining a fresh licence on renewal, he shall in addition to the usual fee payable under rule 3, be liable to a surcharge of two hundred and fifty rupees:
Provided that, if a holder voluntarily makes an application for the issue of a licence payable by him shall be-
(a) in the case of a holder other than a dealer, five rupees per month subject to a maximum of fifty rupees; and
(b) in the case of a holder who is a dealer or a person who maintains the television receiving apparatus for commercial purpose, twenty rupees per month subject to a maximum of two hundred rupees:
9. Every dealer shall require every person purchasing or acquiring a television receiving apparatus to produce a valid licence issued in such person’s name.
10. (1) Every dealer shall maintain a register of television receiving apparatus and shall cause to be entered therein the following information and such other information as may be required by the Licencing Authority from time to time:-
(a) The details of all Television receiving apparatus in his possession together with the dates on which such apparatus comes into his possession and the sources from which he obtained them.
(b) The name and address of every person to whom he sells or otherwise transfers a television receiving apparatus with the date of the transaction.
(2) Every dealer shall submit such periodical returns to the Licencing Authority regarding the television receiving apparatus purchased, assembled, manufactured, imported or otherwise procured and sold or otherwise disposed of by him as the Licencing Authority may, from time to time require.
11. Where the Licencing Authority is satisfied that licence has been lost or accidentally destroyed, he may issue a duplicate or substitute the licence on payment of a fee of five rupees.
12. (1) The Licencing Authority may, by order in writing, appoint Inspectors for the purpose of these rules.
(2) Such Inspectors may inspect any television receiving apparatus in the possession of any person, and such person shall, if so required by an Inspector, give, to the best of his knowledge, the name and address of any person to whom he may have transferred or from whom he may have received any television receiving apparatus.
(3) On demand from such Inspector, every person holding a licencing shall produce his licence for inspection.
(4) On demand from such Inspector, every dealer shall produce the register maintained under sub-rule (1) of rule 10 and shall permit the Inspector to make extracts therefrom.
13. (1) The Licensing Authority may, during the currency of a licence, alter, amend or vary and entry made therein.
(2) The Licensing Authority may cancel any licence issued to any person who has been convicted of a breach of these rules or an offence punishable under Section 6 of the Act.
(3) Without prejudice to the provision of sub-rule (2), the Licensing Authority may, at any time, cancel a licence either by a specific notice in writing sent by registered post to the licensee at the address shown on the licence or by a notice published in the official Gazette addressed to all licensees; and such cancellation shall not entitle the licensee to the refund of the fee paid by him under rule 3 or of any part of such fee.
14. No refund shall be granted of any fees paid under these rules.
15. Any breach of these rules, other than a breach which is an offence under Section 6 of the Act, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to one hundred rupees.
[See rule 3(1)]
PAKISTAN TELEVISION CORPORATION LIMITED TELEVISION LICENSE-APPLICATION FORM
Name of Applicant. ________________________________
Date of purchase________ Purpose of Domestic
Date of establishment of the
business in case of Dealers __________
Date of establishment of the business in
Cases of Dealers _________________
Period of License
TO BE FILLED IN BY THE BANKER
S.No. Branch Code
Batch No. Branch Name
Amount Period to
on behalf of P.T.C. Ltd.
[See Rule 4]
NOT TRANSFERABLE THE WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY ACT, 1933 LICENSE TO POSSESS VIDEO RECORDING OR REPRODUCING APPARATUS
License No.______________ License valid up to_________
of______________________ The payment of Rs._________
________________________ is hereby acknowledge.
is hereby authorized (subject
in all respect to the conditions
laid down in the Television
Receiving Apparatus Issued on behalf of the Chairman,
Possession and Licensing) Pakistan Television Corp. Ltd.
Rules, 1970 to have and keep
a Television Receiving
apparatus within the premises
_______________________ Dated________ day of _______