2nd December, 1966
No. S. O. lI-2(22)/66.-In exercise of the powers conferred by Article 44, read with Article 89 of the Basic Democracies’ Order, 1959 (P. O. 18 of 1959) and section 29, read with section 121 of the Municipal Administration Ordinance, 1960 (X of 1960, and in super session of the West Pakistan Local Councils and Municipal Committees Servants (Further Usefulness in Service) Rules, 1963, the Governor of West Pakistan is pleased to make the following Rules, namely:
1. Short Title and Commencement.
(1) These Rules may be called the West Pakistan Local Councils and Municipal Committees Servants (Retirement) Rules, 1966.,
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. These Rules shall apply to:-
(a) all servants of all Local Councils constituted under the Basic Democracies Order, 1959;
(b) all servants of all Municipal Committees constituted under the Municipal Administration Ordinance, 1960; and
(c) all members of the West Pakistan Local Councils Services constituted under the West Pakistan Local Councils and Municipal Corn. titters Service Rules, 1963.
3. In these Rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context
(1) “Competent Authority” means
(a) in relation to a. person who is a member of the West Pakistan Local Councils Service, the authority competent to make appointment to such service; and
(b) in relation to any other person to whom these Rules apply-
(i) who holds a post otherwise than on deputation; the authority competent to make appointment to such post; and
(ii) who holds a post on deputation, the authority which sent him on deputation for appointment to such post.
(2) “Local Council Servant” means an employee of a Local Council or a Municipal Committee and includes a member of the West Pakistan Local Councils service.
4. A Local Council servant shall, notwithstanding anything contained in the terms and conditions of his service retire from service
(a) on such, date after he has completed twenty-five years of service qualifying for pension or other retirement – benefits as the competent authority may, in the public interest, and subject to the provisions of these Rules direct; or
(b) if he has completed before or completes by the 31st December 1966 (hereinafter referred to as the operative date), the fifty-fifth year of his age, on such date after such completion, being a date before the operative date as the, competent authority may, subject to the provisions of these Rule, direct or in the absence of such direction, on the operative date, or on the completion of the sixtieth year of his age, whichever be earlier; or
(c) in any other case, on the completion of the fifty-fifth year of his age.
5. Notwithstanding anything contained in Rule 4, the competent authority may subject to the provisions of these Rules, extend the service of a Local Council servant beyond or re-employ such servant after the date of his retirement under Rule 4 for such period and on such terms and conditions as may be deemed necessary; .
Provided that the service of a Local Council servant which has been so extended, or who has been so re-employed, shall be liable to be terminated at not less than three month’s notice on either side or upon payment of three months’ salary in lieu thereof; and such termination shall not be deemed to be removal or dismissal.
6. A person who is required to retire under Rule 4, including any such person whose service has been extended under Rule 5, shall be entitled to such leave preparatory to retirement as is admissible to him and the period of such leave may extend beyond the date of his retirement but not beyond the completion of the sixtieth year of his age, and if he proceeds on such leave before the said date, his retirement shall take effect on the expiry of the leave.