EMIGRATION (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2016
An Act further to amend the Emigration Ordinance, 1979
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 21st April, 2016]
ACT No. XVIII OF 2016
No. F. 23(58)/2014-Legis., dated 20.4.2016.–The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on the 17th April, 2016 and is hereby published for general information:–
WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend the Emigration Ordinance, 1979 (XVIII of 1979) for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:–
1. Short title and commencement.–(1) This Act may be called the Emigration (Amendment) Act, 2016.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment of Section 2, Ordinance XVIII of 1979.–In the Emigration Ordinance, 1979 (XVIII of 1979), hereinafter referred to as the said Ordinance, in Section 2, in sub-section (1), after clause (j), the following new clause shall be inserted, namely:–
“(ja) “Overseas Pakistani” means a citizen of Pakistan under the Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 (II of 1951), or a holder of National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis under the National Database and Registration Authority Ordinance, 2000 (VIII of 2000), who is working or residing abroad permanently or temporarily for not less than six months;”.
3. Insertion of new section, Ordinance XVIII of 1979.–In the said Ordinance, after Section 4A, the following new Section 4B, shall be inserted, namely:–
“4B. Protection of interests of Overseas Pakistanis.–(1) Subject to provisions of this Ordinance, the Director General, upon receipt of a complaint from an Overseas Pakistani or a holder of Pakistan Origin Card regarding any matter including illegal dispossession of property, after having been satisfied that the complaint is prima facie genuine, shall, in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed and within fifteen days of receipt of such complaint, refer it to the Government concerned for appropriate action, with a copy to the complainant.
(2) The Director General shall submit annual report to the Federal Government regarding status of complaints received under sub-section (1).”.