PROVINCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2017
An Act further to amend the Provincial Motor Vehicles Ordinance, 1965, in its application to the Islamabad Capital Territory
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 7th June, 2017]
ACT NO. XXV OF 2017
No. F. 23(20)/2015-Legis.–The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on the 2nd June, 2017 is hereby published for general information:–
WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend the Provincial Motor Vehicles Ordinance, 1965 (W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965), for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:–
- Short title and commencement.–(1) This Act may be called the Provincial Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2017.
- Insertion of new Section 7A, W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965.–In the Provincial Motor Vehicles Ordinance, 1965 (W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965), hereinafter referred to as the said Ordinance, after Section 7, the following new section shall be inserted, namely:
“7A. Establishment of medical panels for grant of driving licence for public transport vehicles.–The Government shall establish medical panels, functional at the district or regional traffic police headquarters or SSP traffic offices, comprising both physicians and optometrists, authorized to conduct medical checkup and grant, or refuse or defer, fitness certificate to applicants seeking fresh public transport driving licence or renewal of licence.
- Insertion of new Section 47A, W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965.–In the said Ordinance, after Section 47, the following new section shall be inserted, namely:–
“47A. Compulsory insurance of passengers of fare-charging public transport vehicles by AAA-rating insurance companies and renowned banks.–Owners of all fare-charging public transport vehicles plying on intercity or inter-provincial routes shall be bound to ensure comprehensive insurance of passengers or commuters, through AAA-rating insurance companies and renowned banks, in case of death, injury, loss of limb as a result of accident, whereby the competent authority, as in this case the Court of law, decrees that the responsibility lies with the permit holder on
account of negligence or recklessness or non-maintenance of vehicle or violation of traffic rules or overloading etc.”.
- Amendment of Section 50, W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965.–In the said Ordinance, in Section 50, in sub-section (1), in clause (a) for the words “eight thousand”, the words “three hundred thousand” shall be substituted.
- Amendment of Section 53, W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965.–In the said Ordinance, in Section 53, in sub-section (2), in clause (a) for the words “eight thousand”, the words “three hundred thousand” shall be substituted.
- Substitution of Thirteen Schedule, W.P. Ordinance XIX of 1965.–In the said Ordinance, for the Thirteen Schedule, the following shall be substituted, namely:–
(See Sections 50, 53 and 67)
SCALE OF COMPENSATION PAYABLE ON INJURY TO A PASSENGER IN A STAGE CARRIAGE OR CONTRACT CARRIAGE
|S. No.||Death or injury||Amount of Compensation in Rupees|
|2||Permanent loss of limb or vision or hearing||200,000|
|3||Loss of thumb or fingers of hand or toe or fracture or dislocation of bone or emasculation or loss of one eye||100,000|
|4||Permanent disfiguration of the face or head||200,000|
|5||Loss of one or more teeth||25,000|
|6||Any injury which endangers life or which causes the sufferer to be, during the space of twenty days, severe bodily pains or to render him unable to follow his ordinary pursuits.||25,000.”|