11. Proceedings of
Council not invalidated by vacancies, etc.
13. Power to make Rules.
14. Power to make
15. Removal of
VOCATIONAL TRAINING COUNCIL ACT, 1998
(Pb. Act VIII of 1998)
An Act to provide for the establishment of the
Punjab Vocational Training Council
Preamble.— Whereas it is expedient to
provide for the establishment of the Punjab Vocational Training Council for
setting up, regulation and management of Vocational Training Institutes in
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement.— (1)
This Act may be called the Punjab Vocational Training Council Act 1998.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Incorporation of the Council.— (1)
The Government may by notification establish a Council to be called the
Punjab Vocational Training Council.
(2) The Council shall be a body
corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with powers to
acquire and hold property and shall sue and be sued by the said name.
3. Constitution of the Council.— (1)
The Council shall consist of not less than seven and not more than fifteen
(2) Three of the members of the Council shall be the Secretaries,
ex-officio, of the Departments of Finance, Zakat and Ushr and Education
of the Government and the others shall be from amongst eminent persons in
the private sector in the fields of agriculture, agro-based industry,
industry or a profession; provided that the number of members from the
fields of agriculture and agro-based industry shall not be less than 25% of
the total number of the members of the Council.
(3) In addition to the above, the
Council may co-opt not more than four members.
(4) The Government shall appoint one
of the members as Chairman of the Council on such terms and conditions as
the Government may determine.
(5) The Chairman shall be an eminent person from the private sector in the
field of agriculture, agro-based industry, industry or a profession.
(6) The term of office of the
Chairman shall be five years and that of the members shall be three years.
(7) The Government may at any time
remove the Chairman for reasons to be recorded in writing.
(8) The Government may, on the recommendation of the Chairman, at any time
remove any member other than a co-opted member.
(9) Secretary to the Government in
the Zakat & Ushr Department shall be Member/ Secretary to the Council.
(10) The Council may at any time
remove a co-opted member.
4. Functions of the Council.— The
(i) establish and administer
Vocational Training Institutes; and
(ii) perform such other functions in
relation to such Institutes as may be prescribed by the rules.
5. Powers and functions of the Chairman.—
The Chairman shall be the Chief Executive of the Council and shall be
responsible for the day to day administration and affairs of the Council.
Constitution of Boards.— The
Council may establish such Boards as may be necessary for the efficient
performance of its functions and assign to such Boards such functions as it
may deem necessary.
7. Delegation of powers.— (1) The
Council may delegate any of its powers, duties or functions to the Chairman
or to any officer of the Council, the Board or the Principal of an
(2) The Chairman may delegate any of
his powers to any of the officers of the Council or to the Principal of an
8. Council Fund.— (1) There shall be
a fund to be known as the Vocational Training Council Fund which shall vest
in the Council and to which shall be credited all moneys received by the
(2) The fund shall be kept in such
custody and shall be utilized and regulated in such manner as may be
prescribed by the rules.
(3) The Government shall provide funds
to the Council for its Secretariat and other necessary and incidental
9. Budget, audit and accounts.— The
budget of the Council shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained
and audited in such manner as may be prescribed by the rules.
10. Employees of the Council.— The
Council may employ such officers, advisors, consultants and employees in its
service as may be necessary for the efficient performance of its functions
in such manner and on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by the
11. Proceedings of Council not
invalidated by vacancies, etc.— No Act, proceedings, resolution or any
decision of the Council shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy in the
Council doing, passing or making it or by reason of any want of
qualification or invalidity in the appointment or nomination of any de
facto member of the Council whether present or absent.
12. Indemnity.— All acts done,
orders passed or proceedings taken by the Council in good faith, shall be
final and shall not be called in question in any Court by a suit or
13. Power to make Rules.— The
Government may make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
14. Power to make Regulations.—
Subject to this Act and the rules framed thereunder the Council may make
regulations for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
15. Removal of difficulties.— If any
difficulty arises in giving effect to any provision of this Act the
Government may make such order as may be necessary for removing the
16. Repeal.— The Punjab Vocational
Training Council Ordinance 1998 (XXII of 1998) is hereby repealed.
Act was passed by the Punjab Assembly on 24th September, 1998; assented
to by the Governor of the Punjab on 29th September, 1998; and, was
published in the Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary), dated 1st October,
1998, pages 2881 to 2883.