DAY CARE CENTRES ACT, 2023
ACT NO. XXVIII OF 2023
An Act to provide for the facility of day care centers in public and private establishments
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 16th June, 2023]
No. F.23(14)/2019-Legis.–The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on the 15th June, 2023 is hereby published for general information:-
WHEREAS, it is expedient to provide for the facility of day care centres in public and private establishments and for the purposes connected therewith and ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
- Short title, extent and commencement.–(1) This Act shall be called the Day Care Centres Act, 2023.
(2) It extends to the Islamabad Capital Territory.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
- Definitions.–In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,–
(a) “Code” means the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (Act V of 1898);
(b) “day care” means child care during the day when the parents work; and
(c) “establishment” means and includes any public, private, autonomous, semi-autonomous, corporation, body, society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (XXI of 1860) any club, any small and medium enterprise, any NGO, etc.
- Establishing day care centre.–(1) The Federal Government shall ensure the establishment of day care centre at all those establishments having at least seventy employees.
(2) All private establishments having at least seventy employees shall ensure the establishment of day care centre at their premises to provide benefit to their employees.
- Punishment for non-compliance.–Whosoever does not comply to the provisions of this Act shall be given one warning in writing and in case of further non-compliance shall be punished with fine which may extend to one hundred thousand rupees. In case of further non compliance, the person concerned shall be punished with imprisonment for six months.
- Cognizance of an offence.–Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code, an offence punishable under this Act shall be trial under the Code by the magistrate of first class.
- Application of the provisions of the Code.–Any proceedings under this Act shall be carried out in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Code.
- Removal of difficulties.--If any difficulty arises in giving effect to any provision of this Act, the Federal Government may make such order not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act as may appear to be necessary for the purpose of removing such difficulty.
- Power to make Rules.–The Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.