KING EDWARD MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2012
An Act further to amend the King Edward Medical University, Lahore Act 2005 (V of 2005)
[Gazette of Punjab, Extraordinary, 30th July, 2012]
ACT LIII OF 2012
No. PAP-Legis-2(133)/2012/732. The King Edward Medical University (Amendment) Bill 2012, originally passed by the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab on the 21st day of June 2012, was sent to the Governor of the Punjab for assent. The Governor returned the Bill for reconsideration by the Assembly. The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, after reconsideration, again passed the Bill on the 18th day of July 2012. The Bill was again sent to the Governor for assent on the 19th day of July 2012. Since the Governor has not assented to the Bill within the stipulated period of ten days, the same is deemed to have been assented to in terms of clause (3) of Article 116 of the Constitution, and is published as an Act of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
Preamble.–Whereas it is expedient further to amend the King Edward Medical University, Lahore Act 2005 (V of 2005) for purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is enacted as follows:–
- Short title and commencement.–(1) This Act may be cited as the King Edward Medical University (Amendment) Act 2012.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
- Amendments of Section 2 of Act V of 2005.–In the King Edward Medical University, Lahore Act 2005 (V of 2005) (hereinafter called the said Act), in Section 2, clause (xxi) shall be omitted.
- Amendments of Section 9 of Act V of 2005.–In the said Act, in Section 9, for sub section (8), the following shall be substituted:–
“(8) In the performance of his functions under this Act, the Chancellor shall act and shall be bound in the same manner as the Governor of the Province acts and is bound under clause (1) of Article 105 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.”
- Amendments of Section 13 of Act V of 2005.–In the said Act, for Section 13, the following shall be substituted:–
- Vice Chancellor–(1) A person, who is eligible and who is not more than sixty-five years of age on the last date fixed for submission of applications for the post of the Vice Chancellor, may apply for the post.
(2) The Government shall determine, by notification in the official Gazette, the qualifications, experience and other relevant requirements for the post of the Vice Chancellor.
(3) The Government shall constitute, for a term of two years, a Search Committee consisting of not less than three and not more than five members for making recommendations for appointment of the Vice Chancellor.
(4) The Search Committee shall follow such procedure and criteria, for selection of the panel for the post of the Vice Chancellor, as the Government may, by notification, determine.
(5) The Search Committee shall recommend to the Government, a panel of three persons who, in its opinion, are suitable for appointment as the Vice Chancellor.
(6) The Chancellor shall appoint the Vice Chancellor for each term of four years but he shall serve during the pleasure of the Chancellor:
(7) The Government shall determine the terms and conditions of service of the Vice Chancellor.
(8) The incumbent Vice Chancellor shall not be allowed any extension in his tenure but subject to eligibility he may again compete for the post of the Vice Chancellor in accordance with the procedure prescribed by or under this section.
(9) If the office of the Vice Chancellor is vacant or the Vice Chancellor is absent or is unable to perform the functions of the Vice Chancellor owing to any cause, the Pro-Vice Chancellor shall perform the functions of the Vice Chancellor but, if at any time, the office of Pro-Vice Chancellor is also vacant or the Pro-Vice Chancellor is absent or is unable to perform the functions of the Vice Chancellor owing to any cause, the Chancellor shall make such temporary arrangements for the performance of the duties of the Vice Chancellor as he may deem fit.”;
- Amendment of Section 14 of Act V of 2005.–In the said Act, in Section 14, for sub-section (3), the following shall be substituted:–
“(3) Subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, the Vice Chancellor may, in an emergency, take an action which is not otherwise in the competence of the Vice Chancellor but is in the competence of any other Authority.
(3a) The Vice Chancellor shall, within seven days of taking an action under subsection (3), submit a report of the action taken to the Pro-Chancellor and to the members of the Syndicate; and, the Syndicate shall, within forty-five days of such an action of the Vice-Chancellor, pass such orders as the Syndicate deems appropriate.”
- Amendment of Section 15 of Act V of 2005.–In the said Act, for Section 15, the following shall be substituted:–
“15. Pro-Vice Chancellor.–(1) The Chancellor shall nominate the Pro-Vice Chancellor of the University, from amongst three senior most Professors of the University, for a term of three years.
(2) The Pro-Vice Chancellor shall perform such functions as may be assigned to him under this Act, statutes or regulations.
(3) The Syndicate or the Vice Chancellor may assign any other functions to the Pro-Vice Chancellor in addition to his duties as Professor.”
- Amendments of Section 36 of Act V of 2005.–In the said Act, in Section 36, after the words “An officer”, the commas and words “, other than the Vice Chancellor,” shall be inserted.